Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 12:06   #91

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Stranded in St Thomas

Congratulations!
It is such a great feeling to actually here those things run again after they've been silent for awhile. Sounds like two things were wrong. O-ring of an odd size and a leak in a fuel line.
Is that correct?
I'm pretty certain everyone knew that it was a fuel line issue. Just tracking those things down sometimes is a puzzle.
So, bypassing filters including your primary filter showed you where the problems were. Correct?
kind regards,
Old 21-04-2013, 15:42   #92

Boat: csy 37

fwiw, i probably should have mentioned that engine fuel filter to you. i also learned about that filter the hard way - although in my case it only cost me $300.

after changing out all my filters, my 4-108 wouldn't start. spent a bunch of hours working at it but made no progress. my neighbor recommended a really good mechanic who charged $100 an hour, beginning from when he left his shop.

when i mentioned i changed out my filters the mechanic asked me if i had ever changed an engine fuel filter on a 4-108. i said no. he went straight to that filter. i had put the o-ring in the wrong way. he showed me how and then started the engine up.

the o-ring fits not on top of the filter can, as it appears to belong, but up in the mounting ring just above it. put it in the wrong way and you will get no fuel.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 15:56   #93

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Wonko,

Glad the others could help. Sorry I couldn't.

This place is really great.
Old 22-04-2013, 17:07   #94

Boat: Pearson 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
fwiw, i probably should have mentioned that engine fuel filter to you. i also learned about that filter the hard way - although in my case it only cost me $300.

after changing out all my filters, my 4-108 wouldn't start. spent a bunch of hours working at it but made no progress. my neighbor recommended a really good mechanic who charged $100 an hour, beginning from when he left his shop.

when i mentioned i changed out my filters the mechanic asked me if i had ever changed an engine fuel filter on a 4-108. i said no. he went straight to that filter. i had put the o-ring in the wrong way. he showed me how and then started the engine up.

the o-ring fits not on top of the filter can, as it appears to belong, but up in the mounting ring just above it. put it in the wrong way and you will get no fuel.
That is EXACTLY what I did. Totally my bad. (Besides a GLARING design flaw) It would have been great if my mechanic had known as well as your did. He does NOW though!

The pin hole leak could have been found easily if I had only ran fuel through into a clear glass container. When I did so you could see the fuel come through kinda frothy.

Now in Culebra, heading to Puerto Rico. Sunset was awesome today. Its great to be cruising again.
Wonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 19:12   #95

now i feel bad, wonko, for not having pointed that out. if our paths ever cross i owe you a beer....

and yes, many owners complain about that awful design. wish i could find a suitable alternative that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 23-04-2013, 12:54   #96

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
now i feel bad, wonko
dont feel bad for the guy, he is in Culebra....he's got downwind legs, clear waters of turk&caicos and Bahamas ahead, lobster and conch, likely a mahi or two, sandy beaches and sunny days.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 13:44   #97

Boat: Skookum 53'

Time to start stress testing the hammocks!
Old 23-04-2013, 16:00   #98

go ahead, rub it in, phorvati, rub it in...

we are planning on leaving florida for the abacos in june so i should get at least a taste of that conch and lobster...
Old 23-04-2013, 20:11   #99

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
go ahead, rub it in, phorvati, rub it in...

we are planning on leaving florida for the abacos in june so i should get at least a taste of that conch and lobster...
That's going the wrong way, dont get me wrong, its' still amazing, I would give anything to be in those shoes again. High of 43F today in RI . BTW, if you anchor away from the crowd, snorkel around and look for galvanized pipes, washing machines, tires, and other machinery thrown overboard, Lots of lobster find home in those.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2434.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	59770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2416.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	59771  

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote