Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2009, 12:07   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Starter solenoid problem

I have a Perkins Prima 27 hp. engine on my Rawson. It had not been started for about a year. I turned the key, solenoid engaged the starter, starter turned, engine tried to start so I know it will eventually. But...when I release the key, the engine stops cranking, but the electric start motor continues to whine.
So to my knowledge...the Bendix throw-out mechanism is disengaging like it should but the copper contact washer is staying engaged across the contacts for some reason.
Do you think this is right? Has anyone experienced this before?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 13:54   #2

Boat: Vagabond 47
Hi Celestialsailor
Same thing happened to my starter on a Lehman turned out to be the bendex spring was shot, I just replaced the starter as it was giving signs of further problems, but it could have been rebuilt.
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 05:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Your Magnetic Switch Relay (either integral, or remote from starter solenoid) is probably sticking (closed).

Tap it lightly, and if it releases (opens) - replace relay.

If you have the Delco-Remy Starter (typical on Perkins engines) then the Field Service Bulletin may help:
http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/servic...acy/1M-155.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 09:28   #4

Thanks Gord. By Magnetic Switch Relay do you mean the unit that piggy-backs the starter which I call the starter solenoid or the separate starter relay? If it's the relay sticking in the closed position...wouldn't the starter crank? In my situation the bendix gear releases but the motor continues to turn.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-04-2009, 10:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...If it's the relay sticking in the closed position...wouldn't the starter crank? In my situation the bendix gear releases but the motor continues to turn.
That occurred to me after I posted.

Another possibility is that the Bendix is actually not releasing, and the flywheel is driving the starter, in which case the relay won’t be energised (after start switched off) .

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 19:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
That occurred to me after I posted.

Another possibility is that the Bendix is actually not releasing, and the flywheel is driving the starter, in which case the relay won’t be energized (after start switched off) .
When I release the key, the engine stops cranking but thew starter continues to whirrrr. I'm thinking the copper washer which engages across the power studs is some how allowed to stay while the bendix plunger is released. Maybe the washer has come loose. I will know in June when I go back to the boat. I didn't want to work on it this time around until I totally cleaned the bilge and engine. I hate working in a grease ladened area. You can tell the area has had little maintenance.
Old 19-04-2009, 20:18   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Sure sounds like a stuck contact to me.
Does the keyswitch stick? How about another relay between the key and the starter solenoid? I've seen that lashup before....

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 23:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Sure sounds like a stuck contact to me.
Does the keyswitch stick? How about another relay between the key and the starter solenoid? I've seen that lashup before....

Steve B.
Hi Steve...If the key switch stuck the bendix would be engaged and the engine cranking non-stop. The same with the starter relay between the key and starter. I'll let you know when I crack the thing open.