Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 11:06   #16

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Re: Starter Button on Yanmar Gauge Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Hi Beersmith,

Not too sure about the relay cuz I don't have one installed and never really looked at them, but it sounds like it takes less current to engage the starter and might be a touch more bulletproof. I don't believe the solenoids are very prone to failure tho either. I have certainly not had any issues since I re-wired mine last year.

To my eye, the most important thing you can do to avoid electrical issues with the Yanmar is pure and simple: get rid of all the original Yanmar wiring wherever possible!

I rewired my entire engine last year along with the solenoid wire. I ripped out the untinned Yanmar wiring harness and ran my own system using bus bars. Hard to believe the wire Yanmar used, at least on my 2004 3gm, was so poor. After less than 10 years in a clean engine environment with dry bilges, the wiring harness just crumbled in my hands.

I also found there to be a lot of harness wires that were just floating around, not being used.
thanks!

yeah I was hopeful that I could re-use the wiring, but the more I looked at it the more I realized how badly it needed an upgrading. Mine is about 20 years old and should have been replaced many moons ago
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:08   #17

Boat: Pearson 38

I used 20' of #8 from my starter button to the solenoid... works perfect.... no relays, pins, rewiring, just reliable starting again!
Know Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 18:38   #18

Boat: 38 Endeavor

Thanks Guys, I have the same problem. It starts with the remote start button, but not at the engine cluster at the helm.
Captain Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar