Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 16:57   #1

Boat: Nordship 28
Stalls when Warm - '02 Volvo Penta SD

I've got a Volvo Penta 2002 SD, a 2 cyl Diesel with a sail drive, with about 950 hours on the clock. Runs like a sewing machine (albeit a rather thumpy one), starts like a dream, runs all day without a murmur BUT it has one tiny but significant problem.

When the engine and the engine compatment are well warmed (after running for, say, an hour or more) the engine will stall when shifted to low revs or neutral. It will re-start OK but this usually happens when I am coming alongside and I want to stop the boat quickly, often resulting in a "challenging" berthing manoevre. I have had Volvo check it over, but it never happens when the techie is there, and they say the engine is "fine" (filters OK, serviced regularly). However, I still keep bumping the jetty!

Any ideas?
legionnaire158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 18:23   #2

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I had a shaft version of this motor in a previous boat. Great motor. Mine did a similar thing if I shut down to neutral too quickly. If I slowly eased the revs back it didn't. Mine had many more hours than yours but the head had been reconditioned just before I got it. Mine also had a habit of stalling when putting it into gear when cold. Had to run it for a while to warm it up.
Old 22-07-2009, 18:45   #3

Boat: Nordship 28
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm in the Solent, in the UK, up a river with a few interesting bends and currents, so I have to (usually) come to the berth with some steerage way on then stop the boat quickly, so I tend to be a bit brutal with the throttle.
legionnaire158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 05:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

I would suspect that there is not enough ventilation in your engine compartment and that your engine is also idling a bit on the slow side.
Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo