Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 06:12   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Spray fogger for Diesel storage?

I'm putting my boat on the hard for 6 months. Changing the oil and fresh water flushing my 2gm20f diesels. The manual also suggests removing the injectors and squirting a bit of oil into the top of the cylinders. I have spray fogger that I use for storing the outboard and I'm wondering if that can be used by spraying into the intake and get the same effect. Anyone use this method?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Spray fogger for Diesel storage?

Wouldn't pulling the stop lever and turning the engine over for 30 seconds deposit a layer of diesel into each cylinder?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wouldn't pulling the stop lever and turning the engine over for 30 seconds deposit a layer of diesel into each cylinder?

Pete
That's what they say to do before starting the engine after it has been sitting for a long time. I'm assuming the oil through the injector ports is to coat the valve train and the tops of the cylinders. This, combined with sealing the exhaust and intake ports is supposed to prevent rust from forming due to humidity. I've since read other threads where owners do indeed spray fogger into the intake of their diesels. So I presume it's okay.
Old 19-04-2018, 07:27   #4

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510

Boating Magazine has tips on winteri(z/s)ing including fogging
https://www.boatingmag.com/top-winterizing-tips#page-20

Here's a West marine video on winterising

There are several spray foggers on the market. Google know them all and some ad.
Up here in Canada
MotoMaster Fogging Oil | Canadian Tire

https://www.amazon.ca/CRC-Marine-Eng.../dp/B003OUG0OI

Note, I've not used any of these. I removed the injectors and poured engine oil and/or Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinder. Only a little, too much and you can cause serious damage if you try to start the engine. If it does not turn over easily, stop. Could take quite a while for the oil to drain off the top of the cylinder and into the sump.

I had a tractor that rolled and was inverted for a few days. Took several weeks before the oil drained back down and the engine would turn over. The oil was hot and hence thinner at the time and once it cooled took longer to flow.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:23   #5

Spray CRC SP-400 corrosion inhibitor into the air intake for 3 seconds as you shutdown for the season. Such was the recommendation of a noted diesel mechanic in the BVIs.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 09:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

As noted in the OP, fogging gasoline engines such as outboards is a good idea. I have observed cylinders get rusted out IN JUST 2 WEEKS and siezed up. Not good - if you are laying up for more than a week, pull your plug and fog the cylinder.

As for diesels, I have observed a generator seize up due to cylinder corrosion after a few months. I don't know about spraying fogger into the air intake, that might work, but for a long layup I can only recommend pulling the injectors and spraying fogger into each cylinder, your engine will thank you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
Spray CRC SP-400 corrosion inhibitor into the air intake for 3 seconds as you shutdown for the season. Such was the recommendation of a noted diesel mechanic in the BVIs.
Old 19-04-2018, 13:06   #7

Well, I tried it and would NOT recommend spraying fogger into the intake of a diesel while running. The engine started knocking very loudly and increased RPM. I stopped and shut it down. I definitely did not like the sound it made. I will add a little oil to the injector ports as recommended.
Old 19-04-2018, 13:30   #8

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

For 6 month I would not worry.

For the last 25 years, I have winterized my Volvo MD2030 by just pulling some anti freeze into the raw water cooling circuit. This is about it.

If it was for a couple of years, I would add oil into the cylinder, but I do not think it is necessary for a 6 month period.

Oil change, yes to avoid heavy metal particle to drop at the bottom of the oil pan and stay there, and full the diesel tank to limit the amount of humidity to accumulate.

Keep it simple.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 14:04   #9

Interesting timing. I too have always simply winterized with antifreeze and a fresh oil change. A good friend of mine who does the same with his 800 horsepower Caterpillar just learned that in spite of the fact that the engine is running just fine, it has suffered from corrosion in several intake valves. The damage was discovered during a comprehensive engine survey that included inspection of the valves with a bore scope.
Fogging sounds like a good idea to me now...
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 17:38   #10

I don't think if would cause any harm and might help some ,when you spin the engine even with the fuel shut off and you spray oil into the combustion chambers it will ignite.
And if you remove injectors to put some oil in you may not get a seal when you replace it. Causing yourself more problems for later. I would change the fuel filter and use some conditioner and find a away to eliminate all the water in the fuel. Maybe run a small amount of fresh diesel in a small container
The water in the fuel is what's going to cause the problems as the injector tips rust during a long period of no use.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 18:34   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete

Um, no because the stop lever works by preventing the injectors from doing anything. If the injectors sprayed fuel into the cylinders the engine would run. The stop lever prevents that.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fog, storage