Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2013, 20:12   #1

Boat: Scott Robson 13 m pwr cat
Spindrift 43 Engine Replacement

It looks like I'm going to have to rebuild the engine in my 1983 Spindrift 43 Pilothouse. Details of how anyone has removed the engine (Ford Lehman 80 hp) from this boat would be greatly appreciated.
PDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:33   #2

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: Spindrift 43 engine replacement

I had a similar problem with a Perkins and i was an extra 2000 for a new engine and gearbox from Nanni 43HD.. It wasnt worth the rebuild to get an engine that might only last another 500 hours etc? Not sure the condition of your block but my engine was 45 years old and as i was untightening fittings they were crumbling etc. So i re installed a brand new skid like set up from Nanni. and changed it also to fluid drive.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 20:42   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Big difference in a ford lehman and a perkins! both good but one's better!! Are you sure it needs rebilding?? Ive seem lehmans run 10,000 hours or more with proper maintaince! Just askin
Old 23-11-2013, 00:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
I had a similar problem with a Perkins and i was an extra 2000 for a new engine and gearbox from Nanni 43HD.. It wasnt worth the rebuild to get an engine that might only last another 500 hours etc? Not sure the condition of your block but my engine was 45 years old and as i was untightening fittings they were crumbling etc. So i re installed a brand new skid like set up from Nanni. and changed it also to fluid drive.
Thanks for that I'm still figuring it out. More to follow!
Old 23-11-2013, 00:29   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Big difference in a ford lehman and a perkins! both good but one's better!! Are you sure it needs rebilding?? Ive seem lehmans run 10,000 hours or more with proper maintaince! Just askin
Looks like a rebuild now but still sussing it out. It's always been a great engine. I'll know more soon.
Cheers
Old 24-12-2013, 17:14   #6

not sure about the pilot house, we have the center cockpit Custom Moorea spindrift, and the cockpit sole unbolts and you can lift it strait up and out piece of cake, but in your situation you will most likely have to do some disassembling, good luck. the use off the I beam rollers and a short piece of I beam works great if you can get a hold of one. the Lehman weighs in at around a thousand pounds, so make your life easy and take some parts off first, like the huge & heavy starter for starters.
clipper059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 23:09   #7

Re: Spindrift 43 Engine Replacement

Thanks very much for the reply and the thoughts. Yes the pilot house is a very different beast. The block will just get through the companionway having removed a lot of peripherals. I've got the block on the floor at the foot of the stairs and ready to go but must wait for folks to get back from the Christmas vacation before I can lift it out.
Merry Christmas and cheers
Peter
Old 27-12-2013, 02:12   #8

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi,
We use some of these engines driving bulk powder blowers in our family business and they are good workhorses.
Do you really need to remove the engine as they are very simple to strip and rebuild in situ ? If you have to replace the crankshaft, buy one that is for a turbocharged engine as they are specially hardened (cintrided) and last forever.
During a rebuild we always replace the cylinder liners. Make sure you always use anti-freeze coolant (even in the tropics) as this contains water pump lubricant and anti-rust. NEVER JUST PLAIN WATER as it hardens the liner seals.
A great source of information is Mike Bellamy of Lancingmarine.co.uk he used to race Ford diesels in powerboats and what he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing.
Check also local Ford tractor dealers as these engines were fitted to Fordson Major and Power Major tractors and they may still have some spares on a back shelf.
Both the 4 and the 6 cylinder variants are still manufactured in Turkey.
A common fault with these Fords is that the injector bleed off pipe runs inside the rocker cover and they sometimes crack at the brazed joints (easily fixed) causing the oil level to rise.
If the diaphragm is perforated in the lift pump this will also cause the oil level to rise as the diesel leaks into the sump and dilutes the diesel.
I hope this helps you and others.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 11:04   #9

Thanks that's all good stuff!
I'm into the coolant story which is very important for a couple of reasons.
Many of these engines used here in NZ forever in boats, tractors and gen sets and spare parts are easy to source.
No oil-level issues and won't know the cause until we open it up.
Thanks heaps for the good ideas!
Peter
Old 03-03-2014, 17:53   #10

Thanks to everyone who responded to my engine replacement query. I had to take off all the peripherals, alternator and brackets, exhaust manifold, oil filter, starter, and all the feet and was then able to lift it through the companionway with no disassembly or damage to joinery. It turned out to be a broken crankshaft. Something no one here has ever heard of happening on this (4-cylinder) Ford Lehman. Thankfully there was no damage to the block and the engine has been completely re-built and will go back in the boat next Tuesday. Then a couple of long weeks re-connecting everything.
The engine had been marginally 'hydro-ed' twice and with no apparent damage at the time. It's possible that those events and/or a manufacturing flaw and/or metal fatigue caused the failure. We'll never know for sure.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1393897685
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	77082  

Tags
engine, men