Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 19:22   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Speedseal orig vs. Speedseal life

Am thinking of ordering these for my Yanmar 3YM30s. I have the original impellers, big issue is taking off all those bolts.

Can anyone give me some realworld difference on the 2 models, or should I just get some thumbscrews?

I expect to use the engines about 150-250 hours a year. Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 20:08   #2

Boat: Catalina 380
Re: Speedseal orig vs. Speedseal life

I have speed seal life in both my engine and generator and have been quite happy with them. I change the impellers about one a year and they come out looking just like the day they were new. The spead seal life puts the wear of the rotating impeller on a sacrificial teflon washer instead of on the impeller itself. The only problem I've had is that on my generator pump the O ring provided by spead seal did not seal completely. I replaced it with a slightly thicker O ring of the same diameter and the leaking stopped.
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 21:47   #3

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I agree the Speedseal life is the way to go. The Teflon washer makes impellers last longer. I have on both Yanmar and Northern Lights generator.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 00:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have one of each.

The normal Speedseal does nothing which the standard cover plate doesn't do, except for the big thumbscrews. It might be flatter since it's a machined piece rather than sheet metal, but that's it.

The Speed Seal Life has a channel machined out for the Teflon washer. Now THAT is cool. This will save the cover plate, if not the impeller. I think the benefit to the impeller may or may not be as great as the makers claim -- my impression is that they fail from friction with the pump body, not with the cover plate. But that doesn't really matter, because the cover plate is protected and friction is reduced. Definitely worthwhile.

I can't say I like the thumb screws much. If you do them up hand tight, they fall out (as happened to me). So you need a tool in any case. I think I'd rather have a normal bolt head, or allen key. Maybe thumb screws with an allen key socket inside would be the best.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:01   #5

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

I bought Speed Seal Life. Original just made changing impeller a little easier. Life can save you from needing to change an impeller at the worst time possible. I bought mine when I was racing to both Halifax and then Bermuda. I don't need a tool to tighten up the screws, but I do need pliers to reach in to undo them. I like only having to remove 2 screws completely. That makes reseating a breeze.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:30   #6

Boat: Catalina 380

I have also had the thumb screws come loose when hand tightened so now I get them hand tight and then snug them down with a pair of pliers.
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote