Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 20:41   #1

So, What's this Material on the Inside of my Iron Fuel Tank ?

So I cleaned out my fuel tank today and had a couple of questions for some of your diesel folks. My tank is iron, and I was worried about rust and gunk. Turns out minus some brown slime and water in the bottom, everything was looking pretty good.

The half finished project (opened, cleaned, not put back together yet):

What I'd really like to find out is what's the lining of the interior of my fuel tank? It's white, seems quite hard, and I didn't see a single chip of any type in there. No rust, nada. And the slime game off super easy with a paper towel:

A shot of the interior with one of the baffles:

Cool picture... notice the water on the bottom. The water in the tank was this nasty white/grey sludge stuff. Wasn't much of it, but there was way more of that than anything else I could see that would foul the tank.

all the pictures
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 23:12   #2

Looks like stainless steel to me...or aluminium...not iron...world of difference. BUt maybe I just can't tell from the pics.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 23:39   #3

Here's another picture. It's black, rusty on the outside, and my magnet LOVES it. Not aluminum or stainless. I guess it could be raw steel of some type, but it sure looks like iron. I'm not a metal guy though.

Old 10-09-2010, 23:44   #4

They're called black iron tanks, and apparently the interior has been epoxied. It sure has handled the years well.

hanschristian.org :: View topic - Black Iron Fuel Tanks

Tags
fuel, fuel tank