Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2006, 22:11   #1

So my engine panel is down below, and I don't like it.

Why a smart outfit like Beneteau would build a damn fine sailboat and not have the engine panel in the cockpit is a complete mystery.

Anyway, I need to put a panel in the cockpit. It's a Perkins 4-108, and I must get it done this winter.

Questions:

1. I know I can get a panel from TAD Diesel, although I don't know if their panel is suitable for a cockpit install. Is there a better source anywhere?

2. Is there any reason not to keep the existing panel operational, at the nav station? Redundancy is good, but does it complicate things too much?

3. If anyone's done it before, what was the cost, for a complete purchase and install?

Thanks in advance!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 22:58   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Do you have a tiller or steering pedistal????

Having the instruments at the nav station is kind of useless unless someone is going to call out the numbers like they did 100 years ago.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 23:31   #3

Wheel, with pedestal. Hey, are you suggesting putting it on the pedestal?

Plenty of room there as it is bare for now. Might want to put a GPS/plotter/radar on it eventually, but there's still room for an engine panel and I would not have to cut out any glass in the cockpit.
Old 30-12-2006, 00:02   #4
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
If you simply want to be able to stop/start the engine from the cockpit there are plenty of aftermarket weatherproof ignition switched available. If you want full instrumentation then I would consider going to a VDO system or similar. A lot cheaper for parts and the rev counter simply picks up from the AC side of the alternator and is calibrated via a potentiometer on the display head. You can keep the original panel as well.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2006, 00:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo
Wheel, with pedestal. Hey, are you suggesting putting it on the pedestal?

Plenty of room there as it is bare for now. Might want to put a GPS/plotter/radar on it eventually, but there's still room for an engine panel and I would not have to cut out any glass in the cockpit.
Yeeeep!

Old 30-12-2006, 02:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The OEM oil pressure, water temperature, & fuel level Senders will be designed for single station output, and have resistance matched to the gauges.
If you wish to maintain the original panel, you’ll have to convert to special Dual-Station Senders that can drive two gauges (or add new senders dedicated to the new panel).
For Gauge Wiring and Sender Resistances, goto:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...age.php?i=1622
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...age.php?i=1624

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 08:18   #7

Thanks, everyone. I'm probably going to go with a custom VDO-type setup in the cockpit coaming, below the shore power cable in the pic below. Or I might just move the current panel to the cockpit, making sure it's properly weatherproofed. That would open up some room at my nav station for new goodies.

The steering pedestal idea is a good one, but my pedestal is kinda small and I want to leave it as uncluttered as possible as it's a good hand-hold in the cockpit.
Old 31-12-2006, 08:48   #8

Typicly there will be several feel of wiring harness bundles up behind the panel. Most boat builders won't cut the harness. You should be able to just dig it out and reroute it to the cockpit.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 09:12   #9

Edson does make adapters now to fit the old pedistals. You can put any gauges you like. And you don't loose anything. I use to have my gauges down at my feet. And it was a PITA to watch them and then try to steer. Never again!

http://www.edsonmarine.com/sailcatalog/site/0052.html
Old 31-12-2006, 09:56   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Speedo,

You have a nice, clean looking cockpit. I'm rebuilding my cockpit so am always looking at cockpit photos.

I intend to put my engine instruments and starter switch in a protected area like just under the bridge deck near the aft end of the cabin when my engine install and cockpit rebuild is done. I don't want to worry about kicking the key or diesel kill plunger while moving around.

Where are your winches? Do you have to move from your steering station to reach a winch handle?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 13:59   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Now working on my 3rd cockpit re-do. Found out from the last one that adding so much electronics around the binnacle compass ... renders it pretty much useless. So this time, the binnacle compass (which was empty of fluid & not worth rebuilding) has been removed. I have made a Starboard cover for the binnacle & mounted a GPS Chartplotter there. The bulkhead compass (which you couldn't read) has been replaced with a brand new Ritchie BN202. Uh .... then I removed the VHF radio that was directly behind the compass. The compass swung 30 degrees when the radio was removed! A new PS1000 radio will be installed, with all components more than 3' from the compass ... the RAM mike will be at the binnacle. So ... I end up with an accurate compass, a color chartplotter & a DSC equipped VHF ... pretty cool! The engine control panel in this boat is directly behind my calves, perhaps not the ideal location ... but I can live with it. Will be adding an engine coolant temperature gauge (Duh ...? who would be without one?) and making a few other small improvements, but this is the gist of it. Pictures to follow.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 15:17   #12

Aloha Wahoo,
I look forward to seeing the cockpit photos.
Always looking for ideas.
JohnL
Old 04-01-2007, 15:37   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...5/CIMG0852.JPG

Well ... we will see if this works or not (the link that is!), here's the new set up, Chartplotter, Radio & Autopilot all conveinently at the helm. The Compass, unmolested at the bulkhead. See my member gallery for more Night Wind pictures.
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 23:42   #14

Wahoo,
Thanks. Great photos.
JohnL
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Why a smart outfit like Beneteau would build a damn fine sailboat and not have the engine panel in the cockpit is a complete mystery."
Maybe the owner wanted to keep an eye on the engine from below, while running on autopilot? And ordered it up that way?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote