Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
snorkels for diesels?

In the process of a lot of fine tuning on this old boat we bought. I've been looking around in the engine rooms, and thinking about bilge pumps. And what would happen if I had a big hole knocked in the boat in that area, or a shaft/stuffing issue. These old engines are so simple, like all basic diesels, they would keep running no matter if the surrounding electrical stuff got shorted. But they would probably stop pretty quickly when the water level got up to the intake/air cleaner.

The batteries and alternator are above the level of the air intakes on my engines. So, if I could keep the engines running to keep the batteries charged and not shorted so the bilge pumps would keep running , I could probably keep going a long time.

It would be very easy for me to add some dryer hose or similar up to the vents several feet above the air intake for the engine. Does anyone do this? THey do it for Land ROvers, why not boats?

Seems that there are some times when keeping the engines going would be the only way to keep the water level low enough to prevent everything from shorting and stopping the bilge pumps.

Wonder if anyone has come up with an engine belt driven bilge pump for engine rooms?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: snorkels for diesels?

Jabsco has quite a variety of engine driven bilge pumps:

Jabsco Engine Driven Clutch Pumps > Xylem Flow Control - Let's Solve Water.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I added about a 3' length of wet exhaust hose not "dryer duct", to the intake of our 107. It does not have much rise but it did move the inlet over to an area that makes the engine noise less noticeable. I added an air filter also. It is high enough that some of the sole would be a foot under water before it flooded the engine.
A "T" with a screen in your salt water intake is not an uncommon route to take with your pump idea.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
THey do it for Land ROvers, why not boats?
Funny, there was a discussion about this just last week on Click n Clack (Car Talk Radio)!

The caller asked about this but mentioned that since she was in Africa and had to drive through a lot of deep water, the water depth interfered with the fan belt on the radiator!

Just one of those design "issues" the land Rover engineers seemed to have forgotten.

Their answer: don't worry about it, since the heat transfer of water is higher than air, the radiator will continue to work, but you should consider finding a way to stop the fan since, as the caller noted, it hit the radiator.

Lovely....
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:31   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
It would be very easy for me to add some dryer hose or similar up to the vents several feet above the air intake for the engine. Does anyone do this? THey do it for Land ROvers, why not boats?
One of the problems you might run into is water being sucked into your air intake if waves break over the air intake vents in heavy seas. Normally, water entering the vents goes into the bilges, but connecting a hose from the engine intake to the vent will direct it directly to the engine.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24   #6
One of Those

Good point. Maybe just extending the air intake upwards a foot or two would be easy and make some sense. Of course would have to make it all water tight for it to do any good in an extreme situation. Interesting comment on the noise. I didn't realize that much noise came out through the intake manifold, if I understand correctly.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Good point. I didn't realize that much noise came out through the intake manifold, if I understand correctly.
You do.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

If you are going through the trouble incase of rapid water ingress, I would say go all the way and get a serious dewatering system installed. The electric bilges aren't going to do a lot in the type of situation you are talking about. I would look at jabsco engine driven pumps or these drive shaft driven pumps Fast Flow Emergency Bilge Pump. These would largely benefit an engine with a snorkel and will actually remove a lot of water in the process.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I'm thinking once the alternator or starter were under saltwater it would short out. Not to mention your transmission vents and would get filled with saltwater how long will that work?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Intakes make a huge amount of noise, it's why on modern cars you see these weird shaped air chambers on the intake, usually called resonators, think of them as an intake muffler.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 20:41   #11

Boat: 1984 hunter 34

Did this on our engine years ago after rebuilding it.Got fresh cooler air from aft lazzarette. And noise reduction. You can see the blue hose attached to the air intake.I was not worried about high water. That would be a whole other set of problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399606660443.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	80783  
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:17   #12
One of Those

That's interesting. I've been running the engines without the air cleaner elements in, anyhow. I don't see that they're doing anything other than restricting the engine from being able to breathe. There's really not a dust or dirt problem anywhere near them. And they would only keep out stones and twig sized stuff anyhow, Not dust. I'm guessing this might be a source of a lot of mechanical noise, from what you guys are telling me. Makes sense.

I just bought a gallon of the Noxudol stuff to try to reduce engine noise, and this will become a part of that effort.
Old 16-05-2014, 06:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Remember flipping the lid on the airfliter of the older cars back in the 70's or so, how they made that deep, cool sound when you floored them? Well that was intake noise.
Drawing air from the Lazarette seems to be a good idea, but if you do that, you may want a bilge blower pulling fumes, smells and heat out of the engine compartment if you don't already have one as the engine normally does that through the intake

Google "intake honk"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 06:26   #14
One of Those

Also a good point about the starter cable, which is the lowest critical point on the diesels. I have a switch high on the bulkhead I can reach from above that isolates the batteries from the engine, if I remember to get to it when the water is just below the starter. Then at least I could continue to run the bilges until the batteries shorted. They're two feet higher than the starter.

Being able to run the pumps for another thirty minutes might make the difference. I would assume the most likely scenario for us to knock a hole that big in the boat is coming through the reefs here, meaning we would be in sight of land. Hitting reefs is notoriously hard on boats.
Old 16-05-2014, 06:51   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I'm thinking once the alternator or starter were under saltwater it would short out. Not to mention your transmission vents and would get filled with saltwater how long will that work?
If water reaches the alternator then its time to step off my boat as she would have over 6000 litres of water on board that shouldn't be there.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel