Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 20:45   #1

Sloshing Fuel Vent

Hey guys,

This is probably a question that has already been answered somewhere, so please feel free to tell me to RTFM.

When I fill my diesel tank, any wave-motion at all results in diesel pouring out of the vent line, and I'm exploring options to fix that problem. I have two potential solutions:

1) Install a series of 90-degree elbows as a makeshift baffle.

2) Install parallel manual and check-valves. During filling, the manual valve could be opened to allow air to quickly leave the tank. The rest of the time, the check-valve would only allow air to come into the tank as diesel is consumed.

I don't really like either solution, though. The makeshift baffle may or may not actually work. If I have a check-valve, then a warm day will pressurize the tank.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks,
Harrison
kungfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 23:01   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Sloshing Fuel Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfoo View Post
Hey guys,

This is probably a question that has already been answered somewhere, so please feel free to tell me to RTFM.

When I fill my diesel tank, any wave-motion at all results in diesel pouring out of the vent line, and I'm exploring options to fix that problem. I have two potential solutions:

1) Install a series of 90-degree elbows as a makeshift baffle.

2) Install parallel manual and check-valves. During filling, the manual valve could be opened to allow air to quickly leave the tank. The rest of the time, the check-valve would only allow air to come into the tank as diesel is consumed.

I don't really like either solution, though. The makeshift baffle may or may not actually work. If I have a check-valve, then a warm day will pressurize the tank.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks,
Harrison
Hi, is the vent line plumbed into the fill line by any chance? If so then re plumb the vent line to the tank proper and the fuel can only reach the vent when the tank is full.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 23:04   #3

It is properly plumbed to the vent port on the tank, and happens when the tank is full. We had to operate the engine for several hours last time before it quite sloshing in gentle water.
Old 25-05-2019, 23:08   #4

Quote:
It is properly plumbed to the vent port on the tank, and happens when the tank is full. We had to operate the engine for several hours last time before it quite sloshing in gentle water.
Possibly if you were to reroute the vent line higher then back down to the vent itself it may reduce the problem.

Old 25-05-2019, 23:14   #5

I thought about that, but if it *does* make it over the loop, then it guarantees that anything making it over the top will all leak out, instead of just a momentary squirt.

If I were to use the baffle solution described above, I would probably use it on the way up to a higher loop.
Old 25-05-2019, 23:26   #6

Quote:
I thought about that, but if it *does* make it over the loop, then it guarantees that anything making it over the top will all leak out, instead of just a momentary squirt.

If I were to use the baffle solution described above, I would probably use it on the way up to a higher loop.
Not knowing the type of boat that you have I will throw out the idea of moving the actual vent to a higher position on the boat, with a small vent line going higher the propensity to push diesel up the line would no doubt be greatly reduced.

Old 25-05-2019, 23:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Something like this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...2158452677.htm

Vetus also do one in their catalogue.

Oh and don't over fill the tank.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 23:31   #8

Cambria '48

Yeah, there are a couple of spots that I might be able to relocate the vents. I like having them go into the cockpit so that if it does happen, I don't automatically pollute.

I'll definitely try some sort of impedance solution before relocating though.
Old 25-05-2019, 23:32   #9

Yep...that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Pete7!
Old 25-05-2019, 23:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

No problem

Actually I would be interested in hearing if it works. We also have a surge but only just after filling. Move from one side of the yacht to the other or step off to go and pay and the rocking causes the diesel foam to rise up the vent and dribble on the cockpit seat. Wait 10 minutes for the foam to settle back to fuel and the problem stops, but on a busy fuel dock that's not really a solution.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 23:42   #11

That's how things were with my catalina, but the last time we filled this thing, we had to operate the engine for several hours before it stopped.

I'll dig into that part a little more tomorrow, and if I end up using it I'll post a review.

Tags
fuel