Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 11:13   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 44
Skeptical about teak sealer

Hi,
I'm a skeptic when it comes to teak cleaners , etc. I've used a lot of stuff that didn't work. So, against my better judgement I tried Snappy Teak on the teak deck of my Krogen 44. I followed directions, used a 3M mild scrubb pad, and worked my butt off. Amazingly it worked well. Teak looks great.
Now how do I keep it that way,at least for as long as possible.
Snappy says they have a clear non darkening sealer, good for maybe a year...but they don't sell it in the US.
Snappy in the US says to try a Semco product. I's seen some Semco before and I don't like the bleached out look. I'm skeptical.
Where the heck can I buy the Snappy sealer, or something that won't darken the teak,anybody know?
Some experianced advice would be appreciated.
Ray
GRNordstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 13:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Skeptical about teak sealer

UV light over time destroys any clear sealers I know of. To survive the sealers need UV blockers. UV blockers block... the sun. That makes them cloudy or opaque. There are oils that make woods look good, but oil and water doesn't make a safe walking surface. And the weather and sun will remove oil from the surface. Wood ships were constantly holy stoning (sanding) their decks to keep them looking good.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 15:16   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

I use Semco natural on my teak deck and love it.

Gerhard
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160605_161259.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	131926
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 15:45   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We also like semco but you need to reapply often. I can do the whole boat in just a few hours.

With that said, we are trying something else just to see.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 21:45   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Isn't it the point of teak decks to have it maintenance free? Don't scrub it!
If you want polished shiny or whatever use another wood and prep it properly. Just IMHO
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 22:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Isn't it the point of teak decks to have it maintenance free? Don't scrub it!
If you want polished shiny or whatever use another wood and prep it properly. Just IMHO

The original teak decks were part of the structure of boats. Now on a fiberglass boat the purpose is anti skid and looks. It was never intended as no maintenance. Thus the holy stoning on old ships long ago.

If you wash the deck with salt water daily it will stay light gray and clean but if you want brown color use a sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2016, 08:47   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

After we replaced our teak deck in Phuket (2011), we tried the natural salt water bath only, and a few other methods-all with less than satisfactory results..excessive dirty look and staining, and just not looking good. We tried Semco a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with it. We used the granular West Marine cleaner and then Semco cleaner (2-part) to clean it, and then put down 2 coats of Natural Semco. It was a little strong on the color initially, but within 10 days-2 weeks it looked spectacular.....and kept that look through out the 6 mo season (we're in the Caribb.). The next year we cleaned the 6-mo hard stand dirt off, then reapplied the prescribed 2 coats of Natural. And again it looked spectacular after a few days. If you want a little more color, chose a slightly darker Semco shade-it will last longer in the sun, but be a little darker. But I like knowing the deck has a soaked-in protection on it. It's the best solution we've found.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:47   #8

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Best and cheapest way to restore color is Barkeepers Friend, available at any grocery store. Sprinkle on wet deck, slosh around, let set for about five minutes and scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush and rinse. Job done, then seal after dry.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:06   #9

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Eric Hiscock used a sealant with a very strong UV filter on his boats with teak decks. As I recall it was a thick, white, oil based paint. He swore by it, but I imagine it would lower the value somewhat of a Krogen, or any other nice boat for that matter.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:21   #10
Marine Service Provider

Sailcrazy it has to start out clean and even in color to stay that way with saltwater. Oxylic acid is the bleaching ingredient in everything from expensive teak cleaners to barkeepers friend that does the trick of taking the iron related grey or black stains out of wood.

Old 28-09-2016, 09:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNordstrom View Post
Hi,
I'm a skeptic when it comes to teak cleaners , etc. I've used a lot of stuff that didn't work. So, against my better judgement I tried Snappy Teak on the teak deck of my Krogen 44. I followed directions, used a 3M mild scrubb pad, and worked my butt off. Amazingly it worked well. Teak looks great.
Now how do I keep it that way,at least for as long as possible.
Snappy says they have a clear non darkening sealer, good for maybe a year...but they don't sell it in the US.
Snappy in the US says to try a Semco product. I's seen some Semco before and I don't like the bleached out look. I'm skeptical.
Where the heck can I buy the Snappy sealer, or something that won't darken the teak,anybody know?
Some experianced advice would be appreciated.
Ray

I use plain old TSP to clean the teak. It is cheap and available everywhere. Let it sit for five minutes, then scrub. I like the look of bright teak so then bleach it with oxalic acid crystals in water. Then I finish with Semco. This lasts about one year in the PNW. I get lots of compliments from other boaters.
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:46   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
Eric Hiscock used a sealant with a very strong UV filter on his boats with teak decks. As I recall it was a thick, white, oil based paint. He swore by it, but I imagine it would lower the value somewhat of a Krogen, or any other nice boat for that matter.

Many traditional boats with structural wood decks (not just the veneer decks that fiberglass boats have) do paint the deck to keep it strong however, way back -- pre-WWII -- paint itself was costly enough that many boats only painted what they absolutely had to paint.

Decks do well without paint as long as they're washed daily so dirt (iron oxides) can't interact with the wood and discolor it. Teak was for a long time the cheap way to put wood anywhere on a boat. Not true anymore as there are other alternatives. Just like people think all sailboat owners are rich yachties, people have come to associate unpainted wood decks with high quality or a style aesthetic that they want on their "yacht". Sort of funny that what was once the cheap alternative is seen as other than that.

I would paint the decks in a flash if I was having a hard time keeping them clean without sealants. JMO.

Old 28-09-2016, 09:58   #13

Boat: Lots of boats.

Just a preference, but I like oils on my teak. Tends to preserve the wood, and although what I use probably does not provide a lot of UV protection, it does seem to keep mold and moss from growing and it lasts for well over a year.

I use a mixture of different liquids, all with their own unique properties that hopefully make the "brew" a little more effective. I start with Tung oil (about 50%) and mix in Tea Tree oil and Cedar oil along with a little mineral spirits and turpentine. I am happy with the results and as mentioned, it seems to last a pretty long time. Also I have found that after a couple of rains, it is not "oil" slick as much of it soaks into the wood.

I do very little preparation as my main focus is wood preservation and not so much on esthetics, so the gray darkens a bit with the mixture. I only sand where I might have exposed splinters or where its uncomfortably rough. Cosmetically, it replaces that weathered, wore out look and for sanded interior teak (cabinets), it really gives it a rich look of fine wood.

Although I have seen some beautiful brightwork, if not maintained it starts to peel. Depending on the varnish used, it could require sanding down and completely reapplying. Something not required of oils (generally). Guess it all depends on your personal preferences. For me, oil meets all my needs.

Some before and after's. After shots are about 10 months after treatment.

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	131958

Name:	IMG_2154.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	131959

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	131960

Name:	IMG_2200.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	131961
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:22   #14

Hi, I use Teak Guard...ordered online. Site has a lot of info on why teak turns gray. They have a water based cleaner which is easy to use and the Teak guard goes on with a foam brush. Looks like a light varnish but it is synthetic teak oil. The gray is bug poop from eating teak oil. Wash it off then put the Guard on. I did 70 feet of rub rail and a host of bright work in four hours. Four coats. Lasted nearly two years in Texas sun. If I hadn't gotten lazy and just added a coat at six months as recommended it would have stayed like new. No bubbles, chipping or discoloration like other products.

I love the stuff.

Usual disclaimers.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:46   #15

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
The original teak decks were part of the structure of boats. Now on a fiberglass boat the purpose is anti skid and looks. It was never intended as no maintenance. Thus the holy stoning on old ships long ago.

If you wash the deck with salt water daily it will stay light gray and clean but if you want brown color use a sealer
There are other and much cheaper alternatives for teak if antiskid and looks are the only consern. Oiled and sealed, as with vanity teak nowadays, they will be as good but a lot cheaper.
Holy stoning with seawater was to keep the wooden decks watertight, teak deck didn't need that as much as other untreated wood as stockholm tar was not used on decks for obvious reasons.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, teak