Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2019, 15:56   #1

Siphon hose for diesel and gas

I have two of the siphon hoses that you shake and they help you prime the hose. One works great and the other doesn't work really at all. Won't hold the siphon.

The one that work I have been using for diesel and the second one I have been trying to use for gasoline. I've hit my frustration limit and am probably going to trash the bad one.

Is there any concern with using the same hose for diesel and then using it for gasoline or vice versa? I'm going yo see if I can source another one.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 16:09   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Siphon hose for diesel and gas

The minimal amount of fuel left from either fuel in the hose won’t be of a concern.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 17:28   #3

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

^^^ Wot he said. ^^^

You should probably still try and source a back up, you know,
cause things do fail.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 17:57   #4

Sourcing a backup should be no problem at all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=shak...&client=safari
Old 16-05-2019, 19:51   #5

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I use them and can transfer 5 gallons from a Jerry can in 1 minute, 40 seconds. They are cheap - buy several and have a backup.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 21:47   #6

I'm out cruising and in Mexico so it may be harder to find one as I will have to try to get one locally.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 00:01   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Over here in the med you can find cheap bulb type transfer/syphon pumps used for transfering heating oil from the container to the stove. They must exist over there as well in one form or another.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 04:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I'm out cruising and in Mexico so it may be harder to find one as I will have to try to get one locally.

I always feel like I’m really connecting with a particular area when I’ve been to every hardware store and auto parts shack in a 5 mile radius!
Old 17-05-2019, 05:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It's more expensive, but I keep my spare utility pump (spare for hot water circulation and salt water washdown, among other uses) with hoses attached. It will transfer my two 200 gallon reserve diesel tanks to my 300 gallon working tanks quickly enough that I've never timed it, and of course, it works uphill.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 05:14   #10

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

I recently learned about an easy way to start the siphon flowing: place the siphon tube into the full container and the lower end into the tank to be filled. Then blow into the full container, sealing the opening with a rag or your fingers. Air pressure from your lungs will force the liquid into the tube. I find it works well - no sucking involved.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 06:04   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
I recently learned about an easy way to start the siphon flowing: place the siphon tube into the full container and the lower end into the tank to be filled. Then blow into the full container, sealing the opening with a rag or your fingers. Air pressure from your lungs will force the liquid into the tube. I find it works well - no sucking involved.
That works, kind'a but there is an easier way/device that employs the same principal, known as a "Puff Siphon". A replacement cap for the typical fuel jug with one long tube that extends to the fuel fill and a shorter "vent" tube that one blows a "Puff" of air into to start the siphon action. They work very well and allow one to get almost all of the fuel out of a jug and, best of all, avoid all of the usual mess of the job. I discarded two of the "jiggler" type siphons after getting a Puff Siphon and quite happily so.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 06:18   #12

I use marine fuel hose and a primer ball. That way I also have a spare for the dinghy engine/tank.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 10:23   #13

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
That is the method I use, no pump or valve required. I do have that same valve, but sealing the transfer container with your hand and blowing into it starts that syphon going faster than any other method.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 14:05   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"5 gallons from a Jerry can in 1 minute, 40 seconds. "
Holy fertilizer! I can't even dump a genuine NATO jerry can that quickly. And that's with a NATO spout that's not EPA-legal in the US.

To the OP:
The shaker gizmo at the end of the hose? They sell on Amazon for something like $10 for a five pack, or $3-4 bucks for just one. Not expensive. And since that's all the moving parts there are, and the rest is usually just a clear plastic tube...just buy some shakers, cut the bad one off your tubing and clamp on a new one. No big deal, rashly assuming you can get things delivered.
It should be something like a ball and spring inside the shaker, odds are the spring has gone bad or the ball is sticking, if it doesn't sound the same as the good one when you shake it...wtf, they're cheap enough to replace. Typically 1/2" ID tubing with a 5/8" outer diameter, IIRC.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 18:28   #15

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
That works, kind'a but there is an easier way/device that employs the same principal, known as a "Puff Siphon". A replacement cap for the typical fuel jug with one long tube that extends to the fuel fill and a shorter "vent" tube that one blows a "Puff" of air into to start the siphon action. They work very well and allow one to get almost all of the fuel out of a jug and, best of all, avoid all of the usual mess of the job. I discarded two of the "jiggler" type siphons after getting a Puff Siphon and quite happily so.

FWIW...

Looks like they went out of business? The web site doesn't exist anymore. I'm happy if it works for you, but as others have mentioned, it's easy enough to achieve the same without the fancy lid that only fits on that type of can. So no wonder they didn't sell many. And if the hint in the ad is correct, they wanted $40 for it? Seriously?

The ad is so ridiculous, it's almost funny:
  • Why do I not have to go to the fuel dock anymore? Is the syphon hose long enough to reach there?
  • Why do I save $1 per gallon using this "invention"? Do people on average spill a quarter of all the fuel in the can?
  • What's a "carb solution" ? Google thinks it's some diet...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel