Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 12:03   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Silly Exhaust Trick

I got tired of the greasy stern I would get from motoring. I don’t believe it’s oil, I think it a byproduct of a smoky Yanmar. Anyway my exhaust has an external flange that I have now installed a short piece of fire hose that I have a lot of for line chafing protection.
I think it will work, I have shortened the hose a bit since the picture as the only concern I could see is back pressure.
Anyway the hose since it has been rolled likely for decades is flat, in the picture it’s installed flat, I have shortened it and rotated it 90 degrees so it doesn’t lay flat anymore.
I think this will work, has anyone done something similar?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	164170
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:13   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Silly Exhaust Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I got tired of the greasy stern I would get from motoring. I don’t believe it’s oil, I think it a byproduct of a smoky Yanmar. Anyway my exhaust has an external flange that I have now installed a short piece of fire hose that I have a lot of for line chafing protection.
I think it will work, I have shortened the hose a bit since the picture as the only concern I could see is back pressure.
Anyway the hose since it has been rolled likely for decades is flat, in the picture it’s installed flat, I have shortened it and rotated it 90 degrees so it doesn’t lay flat anymore.
I think this will work, has anyone done something similar?Attachment 164170
it is beautiful I can't stop laughing imagining that stuff on each side of my cat
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:44   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@A64, yes, you are not the only one. We have used--at different times--a short piece of exhaust hose cut on an angle so the water and exhaust gases would go down, and a copper plumbing elbow, to do it. Still, if motoring or motor-sailing downwind, you will get some soot and oil, after all, we're burning diesel. Just plain detergent and hot water will take it off.

Ann
Old 14-02-2018, 12:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Silly Exhaust Trick

It takes soft scrub to get it off on mine for whatever reason, that and soft sponge. Likely cause the Gel coat is old and therefore I’m sure porous
It just looks nasty and dirty, makes it look as if the motor is burning oil, which it really isn’t, or not much anyway. If this works, then it’s worth it to me, even if it looks silly, which it does.
Old 14-02-2018, 13:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Silly Exhaust Trick

Only silly if it does not work..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:23   #6

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

My Cape Dory is a 1982 and I'm sure it's porous in places. I use High Gloss Finish Restorer With No Wax - NewGlass2 and the diesel exaust just "wipes off". I stopped waxing the hull when I started using this stuff.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:58   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I've been thinking about doing the same for my generator exhaust line.

The hose isn't in the water and water tight is it (silphon back down to engine)?
Old 14-02-2018, 15:11   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Great idea!! Leave the fire hose flat & you have a one way joker check valve that can't back flood.
Lots of wax will help reduce staining even on porous gel coat.
Len
Old 14-02-2018, 15:19   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Silly Exhaust Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same for my generator exhaust line.

The hose isn't in the water and water tight is it (silphon back down to engine)?

It was yes, however it’s now rotated 90 degrees so it doesn’t droop and is out of the water. It curls to the side as opposed to dropping down. Being fire hose it was rolled flat forever and is creased that way. It has to be flexible though cause of the dinghy when it’s hanging in the davits.
However even with it in the water, my exhaust would hold literally gallons of water before being an issue, but your right, if it sucked enough water, it would wreak havoc with the engine, likely thousands of dollars damage, or completely trash the motor. Drilling a 1/4” hole in the hose right where it connects ought to be a siphon break and won’t leak enough gas to matter.

I had thought using a piece of PVC pipe to insert inside of the generator exhaust and ducting it just under the water to help quieten it, but have done nothing yet. I won’t leave Vero until end of the month cause I won’t get my dinghy chaps until then so it will be awhile before it gets used, but it ought to work, I don’t think it will cause much back pressure, that is the issue I think.
Old 14-02-2018, 15:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Lots of wax will help reduce staining even on porous gel coat.
Len

It would, I Left my polisher in storage though, and I have been lazy about keeping up appearances, been bogged down with upgrades.
I should get some Collinite and wax it, probably will.
I’ve been leery of Gel coat restorers though, cause I have seen that some were nightmares to remove when they need to be.
Old 14-02-2018, 19:16   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A64,

Try PolyGlow. It worked well for us on our first Insatiable. Just follow the directions. It was not hard, nor particularly labor intensive.

Ann
Old 15-02-2018, 04:51   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
A64,

Try PolyGlow. It worked well for us on our first Insatiable. Just follow the directions. It was not hard, nor particularly labor intensive.

Ann
Stuff does clean off the polyglo much better than wax. I have polyglo on the side of my boat (where the generator exhaust is) and wax on the stern. The stern is collecting a lot more soot from the generator and doesn't clean off with a magic eraser etc.

Tags
exhaust