Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 15:03   #31
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20
Re: Sick of our 4108 Perkins need suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i had a problem like this once,it turned out to be the bleed screw thread on the body of the primary fuel filter on the engine .threads were worn and bleed screw allowed air in.
replaced the body housing and no more problems
^^^^^THIS

Our engine kept cutting out often. Air was getting in somewhere. The higher the rpms, the worse it would be. We replaced the body housing as well as put in new fuel lines and clamps. Haven't had a problem since and we've motored all the way from Key West to New Bern, NC.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 15:39   #32

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Install a 12 volt fuel pump between the fuel tank and the first fuel filter, wired to the on start key or switch, get the standard low pressure type, used on vehicles, this will keep the fuel pick up system pressurized and push any air thru, it will also possibly show where the air leak is located, I always, as a matter of coarse, install a pump, low cost, does the job, the 407 is a very good engine, have had a couple and aside from small oil leaks, it's the best work horse out there, and parts available world wide.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 15:50   #33
Marine Service Provider

As others have said, there's almost certainly nothing wrong with your engine. I have an electric fuel pump at the diesel tank and hooked up to the glow-plug circuit, so that it primes the fuel system until the lift pump on the engine picks up and then shuts down. These electric fuel pumps are very inexpensive and I'm guessing that if you installed on at your tank and powered it up, you would soon see where the fuel system is leaking.

I hope this helps

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 15:59   #34

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Air getting into the system has nothing to do with the engine as a rule. It is caused by air getting into the fuel supply to the engine--and it can happen in any number of ways.

Find the air leak by disconnecting the fuel line from the tank base and the engine. Close off one end using a brass fitting after draining the fuel, and using an air pump, pressurise the line to at least ten pounds per square inch pressure. You should HEAR the hissing if there is a leak in the line, and you can go over the entire line with a paint brush and soapy water otr a spray bottle containing water and detergent, looking for tiny bubbles or large ones.but the most probable source of air in the line.

That was the cause of a problem I had on my vessel. The air was getting in to the system at a high point in the line, so it did not drip into the bilge once the engine was not running--which it did most of the time--but would stop now and again at the worst moments and I would have to bleed the air from the system.

Rough seas and a lack of a header tank can also allow air into the line. A small recirculation header tank will stop the fuel becoming areated by sloshing about in a tank. This was a problem in a friend's Black Clipper. It almost drove him nuts--until we designed a header tank for his system. I had it happen once on my trimaran--I made damned certain it never happened again because it was a close run thing when the engine stopped in rough seas on a rocky lee shore, with a cross wind so strong that all I could do to remain offshore was to use the mainsail only to edge away, while bleeding the lines and filling the fuel tank completely to stop it sloshing around, baffles notwithstanding..

Once you have eliminated the possibility of a leak in the fuel line, check the gasket, as well as any cracks in the metal of the the diesel filters, and the pick-up in the fuel tank if you have one thet takes fuel from the top of the tank via a plummet or down pipe to the bottom of the tank. An air-leak in the inside of the tank is hard to find. Make sure the return fuel from the pump is not dribbling into the top of the tank, but is released neat=r the bottom of the tank. In my case it returns to the fuel filter via a small automobile automatic transmission cooler. No problems so far..

A header tank with its own small pump and a filter with an overflow return to keep the tank always filled with continuously polished and cleaned fuel solves a LOT of problem, and if you decide on this rather obvious option, make one with a cone base and a tap so any water that passed the filter can be drained, or a sample of fuel obtained..

I think your Perkins is a great engine. There ios no replacement likely to be better all things considered. The guy who had owned my vessel had replaced a new Turbocharged Volvo diesel engine because it kept stopping replaced it with a brand new Yanmar.

Same problem. Ten grand wasted.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:27   #35

Boat: Grampian 30

Sorry you're not in the states. I want that engine and I would drive anywhere in the US to go pick up that engine from you.
rveldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:28   #36

Boat: Grampian 30

Sorry you're not in the states. I want that engine and I would drive anywhere in the US to go pick up that engine from you.
rveldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:32   #37

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I disagree with the Yanmar or Volvo-Penta recommendation. Both Yanmar and Volvo-Penta are marine specific engines and parts are pricey. Beta Marine engines are Kubota tractor engines and the parts are available worldwide, even in places where no marine services are available.

I replaced my 4-108 with a Beta 50 - the same block as the 43, just with a bigger bore. With about 4000 hours on it I am still happy with the choice.
+1.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:40   #38

Temporarily Install an electric fuel transfer pump as close to the tank as possible. Pressurize fuel system leak may show up. I agree with others air getting in suction side of transfer pump. I have a 4-107 it would get airbound after sitting for a week or more. Installed electric fuel pump at the tank. Fount leaking fitting.
B Tegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:46   #39

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

I have recently installed a new motor (Beta) an to solve the problem of air in the system I installed a fuel pump (electric) right at the fuel tank , thus the fuel is not drawn from the tank but pushed stopping any air leak problem.
Cost was around 20 dollars.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 17:36   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Some 35+ replies all with essentially the same advice - find the air issue before re-powering; got to be getting close to a CF record.

Mind you, the OP has probably got their heart set on a nice new shiny Beta or similar by now and will be disappointed there is no strong support for getting a new engine. If so, let me suggest sorting out the air problem first and then getting that shiny new engine (and a repaint of the engine bay and all ).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 18:59   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I feel your pain. I've had a Perkins and now have a Lehman. Great old workhouses. The above comments are probably on the right track. What a pain in the neck but this is the life we have chosen. One thing at a time.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 21:29   #42

Boat: Camano 41

You may want to consider the use of a 4.108 worldwide. Case Tractors, power plant sources, generators, without a doubt, one the most favoured work horses in the world. Parts available everywhere, maybe the engine itself is not the culprit. Just sayin.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 00:55   #43

Boat: Nicholson 32 Mk X

If I might just say that this post, and the plethora of responses to it does illustrate the immense value of fora like this.
30+ practical responses, offering sound advice and support to a fellow sailor at the end of his tether with an apparently insurmountable problem are worth their weight in gold.
I do find that this Forum does not seem to suffer as some others do from as many of the usual Trolls and those only seeking to exercise their egos, often at the expense of someone simply seeking advice.
Glad to part of this community and more power to all your elbows!
straightman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 01:18   #44

Boat: Dufour 385

yes - similar issue with a volvo, turned out to be the filter bleed screw wasnt sealing up. take each individual item and test, filters, pipes, pumps etc.
ballvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 06:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGullsway View Post
For those of you who have read some of our previous posts you may well under stand. Ever since we’ve owned Gullsway we have always had the same nagging problem of air getting into the system and making the engine cut out, we have now after quitting work and sailing to the med over a 2 year period had to return to the UK to work and normal life, we now get about 4 week’s sailing a year as she is still in the med so time is precious aboard but the same problem persists during our trip she will run solid for 24 hours with no problem then die we would change filters re bleed and the same would happen then out of the blue it would happen and die often in the worst possible times and to be fair every time we leave port the constant nagging haunts us will it or won’t it die today we have listed a few things to eradicate the problem; new lift pump, refurbished injectors, this week had the fuel injection pump refurbished ( this week as we tried to get to Sardinia) all new copper pipe work every nut and bolt copper washer checked and double checked, additive added to fuel and inspection hatch in the tank checked prior to every journey. To be fair we’re about sick of it....... any recommendations for a re power......sorry for ranting but weve had 2half week’s off work and been launched then re hauled today after having just one night at anchor and decided to just fly home early
try looking for problems with the pump rubber a great engine that goes for ever
discoveryawaits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins