Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 00:55   #1

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Should I change Perkins Prima M80T to Volvo Penta D3??

So working on solving my rebuilt Perkins white smoke issues, I have been offered a Volvo Penta D3 130-something horsepower engine for a very very good price. It comes from a friend who I trust 1000% who is swapping it out for a brand new Yanmar, not because of faults but because he wants a new engine. I originally rejected this offer because I read many reports of the Volvos being electrronic nightmares, common rail as well, but this particular engine has been running without fault for 2 or 3000 hours now. Does that mean it is one of the "good" ones, that I could trust not to strand me with a proprietary electrical issue only a Volvo guy with a black briefcase can fix?? The engine would increase my horses from 80 to 130ish, the C-drive is upgraded already to handle it on my boat, and the price is about 3k euros.

What would you do? How much can you trust the D3 volvos????
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 01:12   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Should I change Perkins Prima M80T to Volvo Penta D3??

My thoughts would be, get the D3, remove the perkins and on the bench get it properly properly fixed and stored. I use the D3 around the Med for 2 years, there are plenty of penta techs hanging from the trees here if I get into trouble with it, and can have the perkins reinstalled at the end of the season. If the D3 is working great, then I can either sell the perkins or have it as a full backup engine, or one to install in 6000 hours more when the D3 runs out of life.....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 17:58   #3

Installing the D3 VP might turn out to be problematic and very expensive. Mating the existing driveline ( C drive) to the D3 could be an issue and the volvo footprint is unlikely to match the Prima pattern on the beds. You already know that common rail technology is not the best choice for recreational and cruising sailboats so unless you plan to cruise within visual range of a VP dealership it might be wise to rethink the engine swap. The other argument against the repower is the astonishing price of the VP spare parts for the common rail system, do a search on replacement costs for injectors or high pressure fuel pump and brace yourself for the visits by the "guy with the black briefcase" that you mentioned, I seriously doubt you'll reach your suggested 6,000 hrs without meeting him.......Often!!
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 19:55   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

A difficult question to answer from a distance. My short answer from the other side of the world: I would not.
But in considering the swap, a 1st additional question: why is an allegedly perfectly good engine removed? 2nd question: if that Volvo owner was happy with the brand why is he not replacing that with another Volvo? Does not make sense (to me).
Third question... do you really need the 130 HP the Volvo has to offer?
I am in the camp of simple engines, and Volvo is not.
If you were to replace, look at the Beta range:https://betamarine.co.uk/portfolio-item/beta-90t/
Kubota based, reliable..... but more than the E3k (where is the euro sign?) for the Volvo.
Such Beta engine would outlast your ownership and likely the next few owners.
Last question: why can't you get the Perkins in proper working order? Disclaimer: I am a little biased towards Perkins as I have two.
Old 17-02-2019, 03:56   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Why is it that some owners with Volvo change out to Yanmar?
https://sailing4ever.com/en/removal-...1Jr9UAyj7_EUlI

Tags
penta, perkins, volvo