Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2015, 11:22   #1

Sheen on the water

One of my neighbors at the Marina came to me the other day with news of a sheen on the water around my boat right after the bilge pump kicked on. Turns out the oil pressure sender blew up. I fixed it, cleaned the engine and bilge with degreaser, there are no more leaks that I can see but there is still a sheen present when the bilge kicks on. Don't smell like anything so I can't tell what it is. The only thing I can think of is that it's coming from the bilge boom leaking into the water. But I thought those thingswere to prevent just that. As you can tell I'm new to sailing so pardon my ignorance. I just want to get this to stop because for one I want to be environmentally friendly and I also hate for management at the Marina to bring it up as an issue. Thank you all for your help!

LB
CervezaE35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:30   #2

Re: Sheen on the water

Clean the bilge with Joy or bilge cleaner that will remove oil residue from everything. Replace the bilge boom.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 11:33   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

And I assume you know that the fines can be VERY hefty (5-6 figures). Marina management is not your biggest concern.
Old 18-08-2015, 12:02   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

The marina, if in the U.S., has a duty to report such incidents or may be culpable as well. Worry about the big stuff.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:07   #5

Dude, I got some diesel in my bilge months ago, its a massive PITA to get it out even with dawn and all the tricks. I moved my automatic bilge pump up to my cabin sole so it would only kick in if I was truly sinking. I have been shop vaccing out bilge water and putting it into buckets for proper disposal ashore.

You just have to keep working at it. Don't let it become an issue with management, be proactive and keep it contained until you can get the problem fixed, it could take a while if you have a cavernous bilge full of nooks and crannies like mine.

As mentioned above, management isn't your only concern, the sky's have eyes and rats are everywhere.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
s for proper disposal ashore.

app
Of course, the $64,000 question...what is proper disposal ashore?

Most marinas want nothing to do with your bilge water. If you call an environmental disposal company in, it's crazy expensive and they don't want to deal with a 2 gal bucket of water with a little sheen on the surface anyway. Generally speaking there is no reasonable way to "properly dispose" of it.

This is a classic example of the law of unintended consequences. The original goal was to stop someone changing thier oil by dumping the old oil overboard or a commercial ship that might dump hundreds of gallons when thier bilge pump goes on. Now it's going after a few drops that have no significant impact.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 12:57   #7

Some marinas have oil disposal. Or you can take it to the hazardous household waste site locally. You could let it sit after washing and try wet vacuuming the oil of the surface of the bilge water? That's the problem though, the oil floats and gets on the inside of the hull surface as it goes down instead of all going out.
The fuel docks spill a bit all the time. it fans out into a sheen from a few drops and looks worse than it really is.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 13:08   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

It only takes a thimble full of oil product to create an oil sheen around the boat. Really a Pita to get the last remnants of an oil spill, especially, out of the bilge. Religiously dumping a bit of Simple Green or other oil dispersant in the bilge over a period of time will eventually get rid of the oil residue. Recently pulled my engine and a very small amount of diesel, probably only an ounce or two leaked from the disconnected fuel hoses. Several weeks later, flushed out the bilge with freshwater having forgotten all about the manini diesel that had leaked with the engine R&R. Turned on the bilge pump and you would have thought a a 55 gallon drum of diesel had been dumped from the boat. Luckily dissipated almost immediately before anyone turned me into the EPA.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 13:08   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Some marinas have oil disposal. Or you can take it to the hazardous household waste site locally. You could let it sit after washing and try wet vacuuming the oil of the surface of the bilge water? That's the problem though, the oil floats and gets on the inside of the hull surface as it goes down instead of all going out.
The fuel docks spill a bit all the time. it fans out into a sheen from a few drops and looks worse than it really is.
Most will get annoyed if you start dumping water into thier oil collection tanks...even if it has a sheen on it. They sell it to companies that clean it up, process it and sell it for other purposes. If there is a lot of water in it, they aren't happy.

Letting it sit out allows VOC's to evaporate into the air. Another non-eco-friendly solution.

Avoiding dumping oil overboard is generally a good thing. Laws that are impractical to follow...not so much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:40   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We had a situation in our marina last month where several gallons of oil were pumped out of someones bilge near our boat. The sheen was a nasty residue covering a football field size area. Fire dept chief lives across the canal and came over for a visit and said well not much can be done its probably less than 6 gallons, nothing anyone can do, have a nice one. If he saw it pumping directly out he would have more to go on. In your case if it is a light sheen Id use bilge cleaner, replace the boom, or pads regularly if they get oily.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:45   #11

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by CervezaE35 View Post
One of my neighbors at the Marina came to me the other day with news of a sheen on the water around my boat right after the bilge pump kicked on. Turns out the oil pressure sender blew up. I fixed it, cleaned the engine and bilge with degreaser, there are no more leaks that I can see but there is still a sheen present when the bilge kicks on. Don't smell like anything so I can't tell what it is. The only thing I can think of is that it's coming from the bilge boom leaking into the water. But I thought those thingswere to prevent just that. As you can tell I'm new to sailing so pardon my ignorance. I just want to get this to stop because for one I want to be environmentally friendly and I also hate for management at the Marina to bring it up as an issue. Thank you all for your help!

LB
Orange oil is an excellent biodegradable degreaser. It might take you a few attempts to completely remove all oil traces.

You also need to scrub or agitate to make degreasers really effective.

Orange oil smells nice too.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:55   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course, the $64,000 question...what is proper disposal ashore?

Most marinas want nothing to do with your bilge water. If you call an environmental disposal company in, it's crazy expensive and they don't want to deal with a 2 gal bucket of water with a little sheen on the surface anyway. Generally speaking there is no reasonable way to "properly dispose" of it.

This is a classic example of the law of unintended consequences. The original goal was to stop someone changing their oil by dumping the old oil overboard or a commercial ship that might dump hundreds of gallons when their bilge pump goes on. Now it's going after a few drops that have no significant impact.
Weak. And doing the right thing as actually easy.

Simply put it in buckets or similar, pad up all the oil until it is trivial, and dump the rest in the sanitary sewer, where it is treated. This is equivalent to what oily water treatment plants do (I've designed them). The POTW limit is generally 100-200 ppm (local), or about 2-4 grams or about 1/2 tsp in 5 gallons, which is quite forgiving if you have skimmed it first.
Old 18-08-2015, 19:57   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Something as minor as you described is a silly PITA that you have to deal with.

Especially when it rains and a worse sheen from road drainage fills the marina basin.... That is accepted and ignored.

if still concerned, turn pump off, pressure wash bilge with soapy water.... get outside marina for a short cruise, pump out/rinse/ while hosing submersible pump and nothing should remain when you return to your pen.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 19:58   #14

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Those wavestream bilge filters systems look very good, but expensive. Much cheaper than a fine, or being kicked out of a marina... Or the Labour component of getting the bilges really clean.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-08-2015, 08:32   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You may want to put something like, I believe, Sorb-oils in the bilge. An oil attracting sponge in effect. A diligent washing probably will never get it all although a good start, but then how do you discharge the water with emulsified oil in it. I feel you pain. Have it removed by a environmental outfit would be expensive. And as formally said it only takes a few ppm to cause I sheen an the fines are large. "Boats and Harbors" yellow paper may be a good source for Sorb-oils or whatever their trade name is.

Try Hamilton Marine 800 639 2715, I found a B&Hs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water