Ok, so the test run was fine but whilst shaking her down I discovered the 25 gallon fuel tank
was filled with about 10 gallons of water emulsified fuel
and 12 gallons of black water/diesel/sludge. I enlisted some friends to assist with the process of emptying the tank into spare Gerry cans and hauled it all to a local recycler/waste disposal. I spent the next week or so repeating a tank treatment of 2 gallons fresh diesel hyper-treated with biocide/tank cleaner, suck it out & dispose of & reapply treated fuel. I did this four times, every two days. After the last treatment the fuel looked pretty good so I installed a see-through automotive fuel filter
at the top of the tank, before the racor
, to catch large particulate/slime that may still be present but I’ve ran through 30 gallons of diesel and there is only small black grit so far. *success*
While bringing Bon Aqua home, the forecasted W/SW winds turned into pure southerlies. We were headed down the ICW
and St Augustine & we threw the sails
up for the first few hours we were on the St. John’s but once we hit the ditch it was in our face all afternoon. I found out this SB12 still has some cooling issues as extended motoring had to be done at low RPM
or she was gonna blow. I recently picked an IR thermometer and I’m glad we had it. At the hottest point, after motoring at top speed for about an hour (or what I felt was top, about 75% off WOT) the exhaust elbow
was 800F+ and the head was near 200F. FYI water volume out the exhaust looked acceptable; impeller is relatively new and recently inspected. So I backed off to about 50% throttle and temp dropped to 150F on the head, exhaust elbow
was 400F-ish and I could see some steam in the exhaust. Water volume looked ok. To keep the head under 140F meant 20% throttle, tops. She produced a lot of soot which I assume is due to running at low RPM for nearly 10 hours… it slowed us down considerably but we did make it & we picked up a mooring
at the municipal marina for a few days then motored an hour to pick up our slip where she’ll live for the foreseeable future.
She ran fine but is generating a lot of soot in the exhaust so I want to go through the raw water system and replace all rubber hoses. I recall
there was not a lot of buildup in the thermostat housing but it is entirely possible a hose has collapsed. I do know I didn’t do anything with the mixing elbow… reckon I should clean that as well. I also think it would be wise to have the raw water pickup cleaned. It's time for a bottom scrubbing anyways.