Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2005, 06:19   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Thanks Chris, Alan,

Earlier I mentioned it was a Vancouver 27 (disp 8,700 ++), but should have repeated that so folks don't have to reread threads. I see even smaller engines than 12hp on boats similar to mine, but the variance is so huge, makes me think that the 30hp engines are there for a reason I haven't thought of. I guess there are many who think the way the former owner of my boat did: bigger is always better.

There is a lot I have to find out, including whether it would fit, since it has a horizontal piston. Never actually seen the engine, just got a call from a friend who said he had seen it, thought it was available and asked if I'd be interested.

Found a sister engine here but haven't really had time to do much other investigation.

jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 07:45   #17

prop shaft vibration

I have seen pro fishing boat slipped 4 times in a month trying to find where the vibration was coming from turned out to be the new prop shaft anode. Greg

ozskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 23:43   #18

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
I come from the old school of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why would you remove a functioning engine that is too big to replace it with an engine that is tooooooo small. At the rate of one h.p. per 500 pounds, you should have an engine of 17.4 h.p. With the added cruising gear and yourself of another several thousand pounds, a 22 h.p. engine would be in the proper range. The 12 h.p. is ~50 percent too small. Your 30 h.p. is ~25 percent too large. I would opt for an engine that is too large, especially when I am driving into a sea (wherever we want to go is to windward).
Keep the engine you have. It is always to keep the devil you know rather than take a chance with the devil you don't.
p.s. Fuel consumption is not a major factor in either engine. The spec sheet you provided indicates that the boat has a 45 gallon fuel tank. At 1/2 gallon per hour, you can do a lot of slogging to windward.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2005, 17:46   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Good points, Jim. Re-engining might be a mute point, since I don't now know if the Yanmar is available, haven't heard since my friend's call and he seems to have disappeared (maybe with a rebuilt Yanmar). And as much as I toyed with the thought of moving the big guy, money doesn't grow on trees here.
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 01:19   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One raised eyebrow…

Re-engining might be a mute point…
I have nothing constructive to add to this thread, except to suggest the term is moot point…

s/y Eagle's Wings— Catalina 30 MkII
"Man must have just enough faith in himself to have adventures, and just enough doubt of himself to enjoy them." — G. K. Chesterfield
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: