Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 11:03   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Shaft Seal

This vessel is fitted with a shaft seal which utilizes a stainless steel ring secured to the propeller shaft with set screws. This ring must not move on the shaft, or a leak will develop.
Recommendation: It is recommended that a stainless steel hose clamp, or a shaft collar zinc, be installed on the shaft against the face of the stainless ring, to prevent the chance of the ring sliding forward if the set screws do not hold or should loosen.
[/SIZE] I'm not sure what this is referring to. I've included the best photo I have of the shaft - I don't see this seal being referred to.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - dmksails's Album: DMKSails Album - Picture
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 11:55   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Shaft Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
This vessel is fitted with a shaft seal which utilizes a stainless steel ring secured to the propeller shaft with set screws. This ring must not move on the shaft, or a leak will develop.
Recommendation: It is recommended that a stainless steel hose clamp, or a shaft collar zinc, be installed on the shaft against the face of the stainless ring, to prevent the chance of the ring sliding forward if the set screws do not hold or should loosen.
[/SIZE] I'm not sure what this is referring to. I've included the best photo I have of the shaft - I don't see this seal being referred to.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - dmksails's Album: DMKSails Album - Picture
Your picture clearly shows a PYI dripless shaft seal. The hose that comes up from the shaft seal has water in it for cooling the seal. Just forward of that part is a stainless steel ring that is locked to the shaft with set screws. This ring turns with the shaft. The part behind it with the hose does not turn. Between them is a seal. If the steel ring set screws should ever loosen and allow the ring to slide forward on the shaft then water will come in through the open seal. A hose clamp around the shaft just in front of the steel ring can be used as a backup to the set screws.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 13:33   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Shaft Seal

Exactly.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal