Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-03-2011, 10:59   #16

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
Re: Shaft Alignment Problem ?

very important to let her rest in the water for 24 hours--
addressing the "hog" or bending of your boat--

My guy requested full diesel tanks and full water--before propeller shaft/engine output shaft alignment--

Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:05   #17

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Good suggestion, thanks!

Old 17-03-2011, 11:12   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

check the engine mounts--is where we had a problem also-- isnt out of the question, considering if they are not right, neither will be your engine alignment. and engine mounts make their own variances what with wear and tear and daily use.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
check the engine mounts--is where we had a problem also-- isnt out of the question, considering if they are not right, neither will be your engine alignment. and engine mounts make their own variances what with wear and tear and daily use.
And this is exactly why I went with a Phythondrive for a flexible hull (racer) like mine.

Attached Images

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 19:12   #20

Okay, I have had some new developments.

Before I start, I would like to reiterate that I am in the US and the boat is in Ixtapa, Mexico. I bought the boat in La Paz, Mexico and was having her delivered to Panama. She is a 49 foot steel boat, and the engine and transmission were replaced by the previous owner before I bought her. The motor mounts were replaced at the same time.

I was to fly to Panama, meet the delivery crew, and sail her back to Texas from there. On the way to Panama, the crew pulled into Ixtapa because of transmission problems.

Well, after replacing the transmission bearings they noticed a lot of vibration when running and the tranmission was hard to shift. The engine runs smoothly and the transmission shifts smoothly with the propshaft disconnected.

They hauled the boat and told me I needed a new prop shaft. I agreed to have one made, which was done by a local machinist. They installed the shaft, put the boat back in the water, and waited a day to do the final alignment. After doing the best alignment they could, they tell me there is still a large amount of vibration.

They disconnected the propshaft coupling from the transmission output flange and rotated it 180, then 90 degrees, testing the amount of vibration at each point. They tell me the the vibration changed a lot depending on which bolt holes were aligned when they bolted it together. None, however, were acceptable.

The crew has now got discouraged and essentially told me they need to go home so they can do another delivery. Suffice it to say I am irritated that this crew is leaving me in a difficult spot with a broken boat and now I have to deal with the rest of the delivery.

Here is where I need help. I need to fly down and get my boat fixed, and I want to have my ducks in a row before I get there. Most of my repair books are on board, so I don't have a lot of reference materials here at the house to work from.

I thought aligning the shaft was a pretty straightforward procedure. In this case, since the vibration changes dramatically depending on which bolt holes are selected to connect the prop shaft to the output flange, it seems to me that the coupling is probably the problem. Am I correct in thinking that it should not matter which bolt holes are aligned between the coupling and transmission flange when they are bolted together?

All comments, thoughts, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Steve
Old 24-03-2011, 19:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I would agree about the coupling. I'm guessing it may be bent now from being out of alignment.
You'll need to put a dial indicator on the trans coupler to check it first. If it's out more then .002" I'd have it machined or just buy a new one, which might be cheaper and sooner done.

The prop shaft coupler will be more difficult to do because there is nothing to hold it in place to dial the face. But it's an EZ fix to machine flat. Also once you know the trany flange is straight then the shaft coupler can be put up to it and rotated in place to view the paralle-ism between the two.

Also check for cracks in the couplers. If either is out more then .025" I'd just replace it anyway.

My P$.86

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 19:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

What del said.....
In other words, the face of the prop shaft coupling should be square to the shaft (no runout on the coupling face with a dial indiactor) Also the face of the tranmission coupling should be square to the tranny output shaft. I've seen more than one transmission outright ruined by someone using the trans coupling to press off the coupling on the shaft. This is a fairly likely scenario, as you said the engine was new from previous owner. It's likely that the coupling on the shaft needed to be changed to mate to a different trans.
You are correct, it should make no difference hole to hole on the faces of the coupling.
Old 24-03-2011, 20:07   #23

Great input, guys.

I will check the transmission output flange first, as you suggest. I'll use a dial indicator to check the flange at several spots as I rotate it and look for indications of irregularities. If the dial indicator stays constant, I will use it to check the coupling flange (I guess using feeler guages to ensure there is no misalignment).

This should then tell me whether the coupling flange is "square" to the propshaft.
Old 24-03-2011, 20:14   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

yes, if the ouput of the trans is true, place the prop shaft coupling face to face with the coupling shaft and rotate the shaft flange while keeping the trans coupling stationary. If the alignment is correct there will be no change of gap around the circle. If the gap stays in one spot, it's just a simple alignment problem. If the gap migrates the coupler is not straight on the shaft or the shaft is bent.
Old 24-03-2011, 21:13   #25

Makes sense to me. I'm working to make airline arrangements to get down there and get this boat fixed. Once there I can figure out what on earth has kept these guys from fixing this problem on their own.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2011, 15:11   #26

Just a couple months after the 2 year warranty expired, my ZF10M failed after 600 hours (Murphy's Law?)

It won't go into fwd. Reverse is ok. Prop shaft will rotate slowly in fwd but you can stop it with your your foot.

If you rev the Diesel and let it idle back down the tranny will drop into fwd and works ok until the next time you idle back. It then goes back into a "False Neutral"

Changed fluid twice since the fluid that was in there was a strange shade of red (Mauve I would say.)

Checked the shifter linkage and it is right on. Idles at 1000 rpm.

Any one else experience these symptom's ?

Bert Masson
Norfolk, VA
Old 02-04-2011, 15:20   #27

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Funny, just did that whole job on my boat as I needed new engine mounts. It took me 10 days to get it within 4 thou measured on a dial guage. (Complicated system, 2 cutlesses, variable pitch prop and thrust bearings ) It was a PITA but worth it. Like they say.." There's always enough time to do it all over, but never enough time to do it right in the first place"
Old 02-04-2011, 15:28   #28

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasson View Post
Just a couple months after the 2 year warranty expired, my ZF10M failed after 600 hours (Murphy's Law?)

It won't go into fwd. Reverse is ok. Prop shaft will rotate slowly in fwd but you can stop it with your your foot.

If you rev the Diesel and let it idle back down the tranny will drop into fwd and works ok until the next time you idle back. It then goes back into a "False Neutral"

Changed fluid twice since the fluid that was in there was a strange shade of red (Mauve I would say.)

Checked the shifter linkage and it is right on. Idles at 1000 rpm.

Any one else experience these symptom's ?

Bert Masson
Norfolk, VA
I would say you have a hydraulic box, and your forward clutch has lost its friction material possibly due to overheating, the reverse clutch still works, the color of the drained oil is the munched-up "ferodo" lining. If there is a way of looking into the box from the top, compare the length of the two stacks of discs.

Speaking from bitter experience. See pics of the problem here...
http://www.seakin.com/gilana/44_mall...summ05/m21.jpg
(and lots more pics if you backspace all the way to gilana/.

Good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: