Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 23:58   #1

Boat: 1977 Alajuela 38
Severely overheated a Perkins 4108. Waiting for problems...

1st post to CF, although I've been reading it religiously for years...

I did 10,000 miles through the Panama Canal and back to WA this year and have had my share of engine/ fuel system maintenance fun. While the 1982 Perkins 4108 off of an Alajuela 38 has been bombproof (4500 hours or so), I pulled a real awesome job on it last week.

Out we were in Bellingham Bay for a daysail and Salmon fishing. I donned a rarely used fishing rod from the engine room, accidentally bumping a coolant drain in the process on the manifold. We sailed most of the day. An alarm sounded as we transmitted in the harbor. I shut down at the slip and checked the oil. The temp looked okay on the gauge. I don't remember seeing coolant in the very obvious bilge. I went back out later that day , the alarm sounded again at trolling speed (1200 rpm). This discouraged me as the temp and pressure still showed normal. The ignition was replaced with a goofy spare from an electrical meltdown in Mexico earlier this year, and it was not uncommon to have erratic beeps during shutdown and startup. attributing this to the switch, I pulled the 'do not disturb' move and shut off the panel, continuing to motor for 15 minutes at low speed. I went below to check the engine and saw excessive smoke and spraying coolant from the venerable drain valve. We brought the boat to an idle and shut down. The thermostat now read 215 or so. I set up a fan in the engine compartment to blow out smoke and reveal a bilge full of coolant. I closed the drain, sailed for 30 minutes, refilled a gallon of coolant...

When I got home, I changed the oil and again flushed the coolant. The boat did not make any erratic sounds during the overheating process. The boat starts easy, although now requires a small amount of throttle to get going (newish). There is excess whitish smoke at start up and more than normal, but not offensive smoke at idle. Small amounts of soot exist in the exhaust water when running at the dock, with some sheen to the water.

We have had some excessive whitish smoke after an oil change in Panama, slowly dissipating with several hours to a pretty clean burn.

I don't see signs of water in the oil, oil in the coolant, or water in the oil. We had a drip of coolant from the water pump that has since resolved. I'm worried about the damage done. Horrified by my mistake and disregard to the alarm.

The engine runs a little 'rougher' not quite as even, but only noticeable to me since I've been checking on it everyday for the last year.

Questions, does this sound like piston ring/ cylinder scoring that is manageable? Is there any benefit to seafoam in the oil in this scenario? Do I need to reseal/ replace gaskets on the head? Should I just keep running it and accept that I did irreparable damage, but it still works type of approach? Is a compression test on the engine and cooling system in order? Do I reseal what's available or rebuild or wait and see?

The engine already weeps oil from certain seals. Monitoring oil consumption/ condition, coolant level in the interim. Cracking injectors tomorrow.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.
jtaussig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 02:58   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Severely overheated a Perkins 4108. Waiting for problems...

No good way of knowing for sure. A compression test might indicate if one or more cylinders are slightly compromised, or it might tell you nothing at all...likewise with cracking the injector nuts to check for individual cylinder performance. Worth a try though.

If 215 is the limit of the overheating, that's not really too out the box. With 5000 hrs on the engine, to me it would seem prudent to run it as it is and see what happens with time. If it starts acting up, go for a rebuild.

Of course, it you're planning anything other than local usage, a more comprehensive approach would be indicated...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:24   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Steam is one thing but what was smoking? Was it the wet exh hose?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 09:32   #4

Boat: 1977 Alajuela 38

I think that it may have been just steam from the spraying/ cooking coolant. I never made it back to look at the exhaust during the event

To that note, reading about the now more persistent exhaust fuses- it is hard to tell if it is steam, and dissipates quickly, white smoke and creeps closer to the water, or has a tint of blue. Tricks for determining this?

I'm not sure why, but our last oil change had produced similar excess exhaust for awhile, although I'm trying not to ignore warning signs again.
jtaussig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:19   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

You might get some extra smoke after an oil change because you filled the at rocker cover and flooded the valve stems with oil. In normal operation there is very little oil in the valve train.
I have seen 215 deg a couple of times and no harm. I think you have a 3-4psi cap? That would jack up the boiling point a bit.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:23   #6

I would run it for a while and see. They are pretty durable.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:47   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If you put a bunch a cold water in the fresh water side of the hot engine without it running (half an hour from 215 degrees is not cool enough), you could have cracked the block/head, or blown a head gasket. Monitor the coolant consumption carefully. If you are not using any coolant, you dodged a bullet. Next time either heat the water on the stove or trickle it in while the engine is idling.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:04   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

We had an over-heating event about 5 years ago on our 4108 due to a broken belt (and an anchor chair wrapped around a tree with a lee shore … typical cascade of events). Hit around 260F if I recall.

Other than expelling a good glop of greasy exhaust, there was no lasting impact. The engine has run fine ever since. Pretty tough engines me thinks.

Tags
perkins