Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-08-2016, 13:10   #1

Selonoid Valves Between Tank and the Engine

I have a Yanmar 4JH2 with two Selonoid valves installed both on return and forward. What is actually purpose of these valves and are they really necessary. The boat is HR42e with tank under the engine with no Selonoid valves installed originally.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 13:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Selonoid Valves Between Tank and the Engine

Your talking about fuel lines?
I can only imagine someone is trying to keep engine from losing prime, I would have done it with an electric fuel pump.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 13:47   #3

Yes, on. Fuel lines...I have two for the engine and one for genset. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1470343624.263200.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	128986

Old 04-08-2016, 15:16   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only thing I can come up with is if the engine sits for awhile, some of the fuel may leak back in the lines and the engine lose prime, meaning of course having to bleed the engine before it would start, OP got tired of that and after trying one or two things to fix the air leak, gave up and installed the solenoid valves.
Just pure guessing, sometimes you look at something forever and never do understand what was the OP thinking?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 03:10   #5

It sounds right, the tank is below the engine, so it makes sense...thx

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 03:32   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Certainly looks a little strange... appears that the solenoid in the picture is situated between the outlet on the primary (canister) and the inlet on the secondary (spin-on) filters. I'm at a loss. Where are the actuating switches located? Are there any descriptions on them? Maybe some kind of shutdown, emergency or otherwise? Are the solenoids open when energized, or closed?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:53   #7

Boat: none ......yet

I'm going to throw out two different ideas.
  1. Could there be two diesel tanks? The solenoid could be used to change tanks.
  2. Could the solenoid be used to isolate one of the filters? Maybe each filter could be changed (one at a time) with the engine running by isolating a filter with no diesel flow.

Just thinking outloud. A map of the fuel of the lines would be needed to be sure.

Does the OP have more pics? Better pics?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Even if fuel leaks down, why in the return line? Is it possibly an anti theft scheme?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:17   #9

Boat: none ......yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Even if fuel leaks down, why in the return line?
This would actually make perfect sense if there were two tanks. You want to feed and return to the same tank. Trust me on this; you do NOT want to feed from one tank and return to a different tank; did that, have the Tshirt.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:39   #10

Boat: 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch

I have a solenoid valve mounted on the outlet side of my fuel tank.
When ignition is turned on, it energizes and opens the fuel valve.
When ignition is off, the valve closes. I always assumed this was a safety feature. Mine also has a manual override for the option to leave the solenoid valve either open or closed.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

See photo attached. (note: the pic is too big for uploading and I don't have the time to resize it right now. The solenoid is small - about 5/8" x 1.5" by 2") I should have taken a wider view to show the filter bowls and tubing. This little solenoid caused me quite a bit of confusion but I finally figured it out. It is just below the manifold switch on the outlet side of my Racor filters. It was wired to the old Halon/Engine shutdown alarm system. It was designed to shut off the fuel (diesel) if the alarm went off (high temp from fire). It has three ports and you can put tubes in it to do what you want. Mine was plumbed as normally open but could have been plumbed as normally closed, i.e. closed when 12vdc present and open with no power. It could have been done the opposite.

The whole thing must have provided the PO with some safety peace of mind but I looked at the mess as overly complicated and I ripped everything out except the solenoid which will be a future project. I contacted the manufacturer and found out that is is very unlikely to fail and go to closed from open.

So the purpose was to shut off the fuel to the main engine or the genset if there was a fire.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:59   #12

I found out that they are connected to the ignition. On the picture there is only one for genset but there are additionally two for the engine which also are connected to the ignition. It looks like a big mess with a lot of pipes and I'm considering ripping everything out and build up more simple system

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 13:36   #13

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Simple is good...
Old 06-08-2016, 00:02   #14

Thanks a lot to your all. I believe that since it is connected to the ignition, it must be a simple valve that prevents fuel going back in to the tank below. I am considering following set up. As You can see I have another additional tank under the seats, which do not have any pipes to the engine. I am considering pumping fuel from keel tank trough a filter to daytank. For this set up I need to create pipe connection in the day tank and it will take quite a lot of work. However, the advantages are> 1. I can not clean keel tank since there is no access . By pumping trough a polishing filter I could remove the worst of it. 2. It is easy to check day tank since it is under the seats and I can look into it. Double Racors between day tank and the engine will be basically second filtration. On top of everything I will remove Selonoid valves since there is a free fall from the day tank and the fuel can not flow back. Let me hear your thoughts_Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1470466845.512589.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	129061

Tags
engine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: