Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 06:02   #1

Self Healing Fuel Leak

I don't know what to make of this and would appreciate the comments of other forum members.

Last summer the one injector pump (of 3) on my MD17D developed a leak and it was a tiny o- ring that hat failed. I replaced it and everything seemed to be fine (I should have replaced all three at the time but didn't)

Last winter about December I winterized the engine and discovered what appeared to be a leak from another of the pumps (#2 of 3). I planned to replace all the o-rings this week. It's an all day job so I was not looking forward to it.

I fired up the engine for the first time yesterday and looked for the leak. Sure enough it was there. I let the engine run until it reached normal operating temperature and the leak seemed to have stopped... or been so reduced that I could not see it. I'll check again today.

I was thinking that the cold engine block allowed for a poor seal and so both in December and then first start yesterday the block was cold and so the leak presented. When the block heated up... the leak stopped. Note the original (repaired) leak manifest even in a hot engine and seems to not be showing a leak even with a cold block.

I suppose I should replace all the o-rings but it's a real PITA and I'd love to pass on it at least for the time being...if it doesn't leak with a warm block.

What say you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Injector Pump MD17D.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	39957  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 06:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Self Healing Fuel Leak

I think your idea that the leaks diminish with heat expansion is sound reasoning; however, as the leaks appeared from an earlier condition without leaks, I would expect them to continue getting worse. I would repair them at the time you choose and when you are prepared to complete the job instead of waiting.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:19   #3

I took the advice and changed the o rings on the other two pumps... YUCK... Anyway... job is done.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 11:15   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It sure would be nice if things fixed themselves.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel