Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2015, 20:25   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Self bleeding diesels?

I have had issues on a Cummins 4BT diesel engine with air leaking into the fuel supply. I have Racor 1000 filters above engine level with a Holley Fuel pump pushing into the engine which has the usual lift pump.

An extremely well qualified diesel mechanic advised not to worry about bleeding air out because the Cummins was "self bleeding" and while it might run a bit rough while doing so that it would continue running and eliminate any minor air in the lines.

Now i have to say that this has not been my experience with this motor and that stoppage has been an issue such that i have installed a three way valve just before the motor inlet to more easily drain any air.

I have gone through the air leakage stuff and have now eliminated the leak but this notion of "self bleeding diesels" still rumbles about in the back of my mind.

Any validity to this idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 15-08-2015, 21:43   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Self bleeding diesels?

Self bleeding doesn't mean it will run with a lot of air in the fuel intake. There can be so much air that there is not enough fuel and then no engine will run.

I think what they mean by self bleeding is that if you get all (or nearly all) the air out up to the lift pump then you can expect a self bleeding engine to take care of the rest. That's good because then you don't have to go around and bleed every injector as you do on some engines.

My Yanmar 4JH3E is "self bleeding" and I have never had to bleed it. When I change Racor filters I just fill the bowl up to the top and put the cover on. It starts right up and runs every time.

Old 15-08-2015, 22:03   #3

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

diesel engines are fantastically reliable - they have one achilles heel - they must have a clean, sealed fuel supply. There is no way to filter air out of the supply side of the system, and no engine will run with air leaking into the supply side. Some engines can have a bleeding effect on the return system, but its useless if air is leaking in to the supply side. self-bleeding most often means - where the fuel supply has been detached for whatever reason, drained , then re-attached - ie sealed - if the return system has good bleeding characteristics, running the starter long enough can remove air from the supply side simply because eventually there is nothing else to pump in but fuel. Being able to bleed your diesel is about as basic as being able to change the sparkplugs on your car, should be about the first thing you learn to do.
Old 16-08-2015, 00:52   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A Cummins 4BT I sailed with wouldn't self bleed. I had to crack an injector to get it running. At least it started with only the one injector cracked, unlike some diesels which seem to need every injector cracked and bled to get them to fire...

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-08-2015, 02:08   #5

Yanmar 3YM30 self bleeds
Old 16-08-2015, 03:56   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

My Mitsubishi diesel self bleeds. Even with the Racor fuel bowl empty. It makes a clicking sound when the ignition is switched on until the air is expelled. No idea how it works.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-08-2015, 07:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
My Mitsubishi diesel self bleeds. Even with the Racor fuel bowl empty. It makes a clicking sound when the ignition is switched on until the air is expelled. No idea how it works.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

That's an electric fuel pump. No magic there.
Your engine should move somewhere around 5-7 GPh while running regardless of consumption. So in essence your polishing your fuel by running the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-08-2015, 12:09   #8

Volkswagon/Pathfinder diesels are self bleeding. I never needed to crack an injector. Mercedes automotive diesels can be run out, and just refill, and pump the little hand pump that is on the injector pump (different than a lift pump) and they will usually start without cracking injectors. On the Perkins that I have owned, if you got one tiny bubble in the system, it required going through the whole bleed sequence. These were all older diesels, but I suspect that many newer diesels are self bleeding. Possibly the industrial based engines wont be, because they are more likely to be operated by professionals. Self bleeding could be designed into any diesel system, but there must be some trade-off, or it would be standard in all of them. Does anyone know of a disadvantage to self bleeding??? _____Grant.
Old 16-08-2015, 12:37   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I expect the disadvantages would be the usual ones: It must either cost money for extra parts, or extra production costs, or, simply requires a better engineer, who in turn will cost more to hire.

Of course a cynic might point out that if an engine requires bleeding, it will create more service business for authorized mechanics....Surely, that would motivate some companies to keep making engines that require crush washers and bleeding rituals?(G)
Old 16-08-2015, 12:41   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It seems I was told my 3GM30 Yanmars were "self Bleeding". I do know it was hard to NOT start them... no matter what I had done in changing filters etc. Cracking one injector usually got them running if they didnt start otherwise.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 12:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Detroits don't have air problems unless you have a hole in the fuel line. The is no injection pump. Fuel flows continuously thru the lines and the injectors, controlled by the cam, have a plunger that makes injection pressure.
Most bleeding issues in injector pump engines can be made simpler with an electric fuel pump.
If you're careful about filling replacement primary filters when changing, most of the bleeding issues go away.

Tags
diesel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: