Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2009, 15:36   #1

Sea Water Pick Up

I need to do some work on my volvo penta and would rather do it while on the hard but am wondering how to apply water to the sea water pickup port if it is even necessary. I have worked on many of power boats and understand that system and how the rubber impeller will be damaged by running it w/o water but what about on a sailboat?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 15:48   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have worked on many of power boats and understand that system and how the rubber impeller will be damaged by running it w/o water but what about on a sailboat?
Do sailboats have some different engine to a powerboat?

D
Old 15-07-2009, 17:50   #3

Ive never seen an Alpha I,II or Mercrurser outdrive on a sailboat. These pickups are made of rubber and if not supplied with water quickly harden and become useless.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 18:02   #4

Boat: 1967 Angleman Sea Spirit
I took the hose that was connected to the through hull valve and secured it inside a 5 gallon bucket in my boat and turned on the warer and then started the engine. the water sourse had to be on 3/4's open that is how fast my 3 cylinder yanmar sucked it up.
Old 15-07-2009, 21:02   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Hi, take off the intake engine water hose for the engine and conect a garden hose to the intake hose, turn on the water just half , check the stands that suport the boat, if you are not sure , put a couple off extra stands and keep tight , start the engine and see the water flow from the exaust, and happy flushing!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 23:45   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I'd go the bucket route two posts ago rather than the connect the garden hose to the intake one post ago. I believe I've read more than one account on this forum where people filled up their muffler which then backed up water into their engine and hydrolocked it. Sounded expensive and not recommended.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 05:25   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
If you have through-hulls for pickup you can take appropriately sized hose, stick it in the through hull and route the other end to a barrel where you have a source of water. I am not sure about the exhaust, you could just leave it open and let the water/exhaust flow out.

I have used a variant of this by using a bucket under my saildrive with a water hose in the bucket. Not very elegant, but it worked for the relatively short time I was testing the alternators and charging system.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 06:11   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I also would not recommend forcing water through a diesel engine cooling system via a garden hose. Letting your engine draw water from a large bucket being fed by a hose is a far better recommendation. Hydrolock ain't fun.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 06:48   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
I forgot turn the water a litle and start the engine, and with the engine runing turn the water a litle more with the engine runing , i dont experience any problem with my big perkins , and also i do the same in yanmar , but start the engine in the same time , 2 persons better , also the bucket work too.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 11:51   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If you just want to flush the salt water out, stand under the boat with a full flowing hose , have someone else start the engine, jam the hose into the intake with a rag around the works to minimize leakage, and let it run for 5 minutes. You will get wet, but its a lot less work than taking the engine hoses off.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote