Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2008, 10:27   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
School for diesel engines?

Just moved to Newport, OR and onto our Liberty 458. This is our first boat with a diesel engine. Anyone have an idea where--hopefully within the state--I can find a decent school that will teach the necessities of engine maintenance? Doesn't have to be an everything school, just the necessities.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 12:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
There are not a lot of things you really need to learn about a diesel. Fuel filters, oil filters, oil changes and levels, checking belts, checking cooling, thats about it. There is not much in the way of easily servicable pars on a Diesel. Unless you mean, you want to learn more about indepth pulling apart.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 14:36   #3

Helps to see how it's done.

Just want to see how it's done the first time. I've worked on cars a bit so I know the basics of changing oil. The filtering systems on diesel is still new to me so that is what I have the biggest interest in. I know that all air must be out of the system or the engine will stall. Want to see how a pro recommends it being done and see how they do it. I have a mechanic coming next week and know I will be staring over his shoulder the entire time. Yes, I would like to know more than just that, but not the entire breakdown of the engine. Just what to do and how to do it. I've read several books--Nigel Calders for one, but think a hands on approach would be better. You can only get so much by reading. More with hands on.
Old 18-05-2008, 14:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
There is a trawler fest in Anacortes Wash. next week. They have diesel "courses". Don't know how far that is from you though. Geared toward the trawler folks of course, but much of it is the same, system wise.
"Ship's Systems From Stem To Stern"

Trawler Fest
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 15:12   #5

Heard about it.

The boat in the next slip--trawler--is going. I can't make it. At least a 5 day jaunt on my boat.

Tags
diesel, school