Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2018, 16:31   #1

San Juan 7.7 Outboard Motor Mount

I recently purchased a San Juan 7.7 and need to put an outboard motor on it. I have a Honda 7.7 long shaft but I cannot get the motor to go deep enough in the water with the spring assist motor mount I purchased.

Does anyone else out there have a SJ 7.7 with an outboard setup that could share the type of mount that works for them.

I found this picture of a SJ 7.7 on the web and the mount look like it has a lot of vertical travel. A setup like this would be great but I haven't be able to find a mont like this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SJ Motor MountPNG.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	170215  
Jake32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 17:11   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: San Juan 7.7 Outboard Motor Mount

This is kinda weird. Let me explain:-)
I have a San Juan 7.7, and actually just got home from sailing.(it's a great boat by the way, pm me if you have any questions)
I was cleaning up, and chatting with dock mates, we paused as a monster power boat came in to the fuel dock (pretty close to my slip). Both because we couldn't hear each other over his motor, and because he was coming close to us.
Definately too close because as he turned his a## end smoked my outboard and it now looks like my mount could be toast. Too bad because it works well, I use a 5hp tohatsu with reg shaft.
If I have to replace it I will be trying to get a similar one.
This is the only pic I have right now. Tomorrow I will get some better ones for you, and hopefully brand, ectClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0254.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	170223
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2018, 21:24   #3

Thank you! Sorry to hear about your outboard getting damaged and I hope you get things fixed soon! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 21-05-2018, 15:58   #4

Sorry Jake, I forgot to take pics. More drama at the marina distracted me.
Luckily everything is still good with my boat. Nothing broken.
So, looking at your picture I notice the bracket is attached directly to the stern.
On mine there is a non moving bracket that slides into a fibreglass square tube that anchors to the rudder tube. My lifting bracket is attached to that first plate. This allowed me to lower the lifting bracket a few inches. Compare our 2 pics where the bottom of the bracket is.
Hopefully that helps you, I will really try to remember to take pics next time out.
On a side note, I notice you have a Bimini. I've been trying to figure out how to add one with the low boom height.
Old 23-05-2018, 14:39   #5

Hopefully these give a better understanding. Attachment 170371Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1275.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	170372
Old 24-05-2018, 08:41   #6
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

if you have a transom that angles back towards the cockpit you must put an angled piece of something between the transom and the motor mount for the outboard so that the mounting plate that the outboard attaches to is perfectly vertical to the water, or as close as you can get it to vertical..

i had the same problem and the slight angle of the transom will cause the outboard to be a good 8-12" higher than it should be. my prop would just barely touch the water when mounted direcyly to transom. i added wood shims between my transom and the outboard motor mount to get it vertical and the outboard was able to go almost a foot into the water.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...3?recordNum=26

i used this mount. 10" of travel. handles the weight of motor but you seriously have to get on it and stand on it to get it lower to lock into its lowest position. very, very stiff springs.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 08:50   #7

You need a lowering motor mount as shown in those pics above. There are plenty of them out there to buy. They even have them for fairly large engines. Look at reviews on the different designs, some are a pITA to lower and raise, others aren't. The wider the separation between the two "scissor" struts the better I feel. This type looks pretty good: But you can spend up to about $250 also
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Five-Ocea...&wl13=&veh=sem

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 21:58   #8

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. My motor attaches to a metal shaft that slides in the transom of the boat and is pinned in. The mounting plate is on the end of the shaft. I will be at the lake this weekend and take a photo.

I think it will just be a matter of getting a spring assist mount with enough travel to get the prop below the boat. It is about half dangerous to go under the railing, balance one foot on the mount and try to lift the motor without some assist.

More to follow!
Old 24-05-2018, 22:05   #9

Chris- That photo helps a lot. Looks like I need to mount a plate to my existing mounting plate that extends down another foot and the mount the spring assist to that.

Thank you!
Old 25-05-2018, 07:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake32 View Post
Chris- That photo helps a lot. Looks like I need to mount a plate to my existing mounting plate that extends down another foot and the mount the spring assist to that.

Thank you!
Any time.
And yes, it is a balancing act to deal with the outboard. Leaning over the stern, but under the split back stay. (ease the tension when motoring)Elec start would help, but I'm too cheap to upgrade.
I did put a throttle extender on which helped a lot.
Enjoy your boat, 7.7's are a lot of fun.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54   #11

Here is a photo of the boat with the existing mount that I have. I drew a red line of where I think the waterline is. My guess is that the motor still needs to be lower by 4 to 6 inches. What do you think? how low is your motor in the water?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EZ Motor Mount.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	171277  
Old 10-06-2018, 19:42   #12

Hey Jake, due to some bad weather, I haven't been to the boat for a few days so haven't measured.
That does seem high. Ours is as well, but is a short leg. In heavy chop it can lift the prop out of the water. It only happens in steep, close together waves while motoring into the wind, but is annoying none the less. With your long leg, it might work fine.
The best bet is to take it out and play with it. As long as it's cycling water for cooling, you aren't hurting it. See how it's moving the boat, and the ease of use. It's a fine balance, the deeper in the water=farther down you lean to operate it.
Old 10-06-2018, 19:51   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This may work for you:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...our-spring.cfm
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:15   #14

Boat: Newport 28

My Newport suffered from the same thing - A previous owner mounted a kicker bracket that left it at it's lowest, my extra long shaft sat right how yours does, with the fin barely beneath the surface. It made for a lot of cavitation on the way down the lake after launching, but the worst part was reverse - The motor would try to kick up ever slightly under load and seemed to not get much bite at all. I'm not familiar with that boat, and can't tell from the profile shot, but I'm going to guess there's not much in the way of being able to move where the bracket mounts down farther? Mine had a few mounting holes, but I also had a lot more transom to work with and ultimately drilled all new holes about 4" lower.
Old 10-06-2018, 21:48   #15

Thanks to everyone. I am going to check out some of the other brackets and your thoughts are invauluable. I like the looks of the one that has 17" of travel. I just can't figure out if that travel will allow the motor to go lower or if it just raises it higher? I will call them.

Option #2

I have moved the motor mount "tube/shaft" so that is is now farther away the stern of the boat. There was a second adjustment setting that allowed for this. This tube slides in the stern of the boat and has a keeper pin that holds it in place. In this position I can mount another plate that extends down another 5 inches without hitting the stern. Then I can redrill holes in that plate to mount the spring assist motor mount. I hope that extra 5" inches does the trick.

I will post photos of whatever I do so everyone can have a good laugh! Seriously though....Thanks for the help!

--J

Tags
motor, outboard, san juan