Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 12:36   #1

Boat: lagoon 450f
Salt Water in Oil

to the ones who know
after many attempts to start my 2002 volvo diesel 1989 and some back flow problem after overheating the oil cranks fill up wit salt water back flowing from exhaust elbow and now I have a grey sludge and can not crank the engine
one of the problems is the emulsification is so intense than haven't being able to siphon the sludge
sugestion,procedures ,
good decent diesel mechanic to recommend on the fort lauderdale area?
thanks in advanced
Popeye99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:43   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: salt water in oil

I'd try "thinning"the oil maybe with mineral spirits of similar so that I could syphon it out, assuming you cannot drain it out through the oil pan drain plug. Can you put a bigger rubber hose on the outside of the dip stick tube as opposed to a thin plastic hose inside of it?
Of course you know you must get it out, put cheap oil in as you'll only run it for a few minutes before you drain that out, you must continue the is drain and flush until all water is removed.
I'm sure you know what caused the water in the oil and won't repeat that mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:45   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
salt water in oil

I'd even try using a shop vacuum as a blower to try to pressurize the crankcase enough to help blow the oil out of the dip stick tube.

Oh, and it the engine is locked up, it may be that a cylinder is filled with water and since you can't compress water, it's locked up. If you have de-compression levers, pull them and that should let the water out of the cylinder, or pull the injectors to let the water out.
Close the sea-cock while your doing this of course, and I'd try turning the motor by hand to bleed the water out, not by the starter

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 21:13   #4
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

If the engine is locked you will never fee it up. it will need pulled. I can pull it and rebuild it im a lot cheaper then most but im not working for shortcuts either I live two hrs away. pour transmission fluid in there its your only hope.
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 21:46   #5

How long has it been sitting in present condition???
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:32   #6

Boat: lagoon 450f

thanks for the suggestions ,is being like this for a week the engine is not seize ,you can move it by hand so im working on liquifying the sludge so I can take it out
any info in the drain plug (size,how to remove it ,tools necessary )greatly appreciated
for gah964 here is my E-mail "popeyeolivia99@yahoo.com" so we can communicate about rebuilding it ,wich is an option I being considering
thanks again all suggestion had being useful
Popeye99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35   #7

Boat: Scout 30

You need to get this out as soon as possible. Fresh water's not that bad but salt water will cause rust quickly. You can't turn it over because there is water in one or more cylinders which cannot be compressed. As previously posted use the compression release lever at the top of the block. You can pour kerosene or diesel fuel into the motor to clean it & thin the water/oil mixture. Do this a couple of times to flush it. Then put in oil & run it but only run it for a short time & change the oil. Then run it for a short time & change the oil again. At this point the oil should be crystal clear. Now you need to run it under load for an extended period. If you can tie it up at the dock & keep it in gear do that. Listen for bad sounds & check for oil leaks. Also check for smoke. I'd run it at the dock for at least an hour. If it's ok you're probably good to go but keep a good eye on it on your next trip.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:39   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye99 View Post
thanks for the suggestions ,is being like this for a week the engine is not seize ,you can move it by hand so im working on liquifying the sludge so I can take it out
any info in the drain plug (size,how to remove it ,tools necessary )greatly appreciated
for gah964 here is my E-mail "popeyeolivia99@yahoo.com" so we can communicate about rebuilding it ,wich is an option I being considering
thanks again all suggestion had being useful
What kind of engine don't it have inspection covers on the side? Use the trans fluid like I said the oil fill tub will never get it all out.keep filling and draining if you have no other way.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:43   #9
cruiser

I would pull it do it right save money no Brainerd.I hope you get it figured out man. Any questions ask me I have 20years exp on these pigs hehe sry
Old 09-03-2015, 12:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
I would pull it do it right save money no Brainerd.I hope you get it figured out man. Any questions ask me I have 20years exp on these pigs hehe sry
It would be premature to pull this before you know if there's a problem. Flush it, clean it, run it. If there's a problem you still need to figure out what it is before you pull it. FYI, a rebuild on a 2003 is very expensive. A friend of mine had his 2003T rebuilt a couple of years ago. It cost $11,000. It does not make sense to rebuild this motor.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05   #11
cruiser

That's why you pull it my friend saves you cash.but like always people are going to hate on my advice on this site.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:09   #12
cruiser

Scout you think water in an engine is not a problem you didn't give this friend of your advice did you?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:11   #13
cruiser

Also I can do it for half that scout
Old 09-03-2015, 12:46   #14

Quote:
Why not just scoot over to Miami, then?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:59   #15

Quote:
Funny, my buddy got a similar quote. FYI, I got fresh water in my engine about 15 years ago. 2,000 hours later it still runs fine.

Tags
oil, salt, salt water, water