Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Sailor Needs Advice

Hello All,

If you look I have a number of post on here about my boat, There has been a number of changes lately,

I now have all new standing riggin cost was very cheap in my eyes from Rigging online and when it came every part fit right in place, great people.

I installed a 6,500 watt generator,
New battery bank, I went with the Interstate 6 volt
All new wireing in the boat both A/C and DC
new Panels
new Motor but this is where I new advice,

I got a Perkins 4-108 from online a place called Jobbers well the motor came with everything but Alt,Starter, water pump">Raw water pump and gear box.

due to my health and how much I know about Deisal motors I ask this guy to do the change over for me.

After this guy had both old and new motors 19 days I went and got them (not done) it took me 6 hours at night to put all the parts back on. The next morning I had the motor installed in the boat.

This is where the problems really start.
The motor would not start, I made sure there was iol and water in it.
I had alot of ruel leaks everywhere so I started fixing them, it got to a point I could not do it myself due to my back pain, I called another person in to work on it, within 3 hours he had the motor running.

for two days I ran the boat at the dock (under load at times) but last night I tried to take it away from the dock, she died 20' later and will not pull a load at all just dies. I have alot of fuel dumping out with the exhaust and some white smoke.

I am at a point that I can not do the work myself, but the only local people to do the work I would not have do any type of work at all.

Should I have the boat Towed to another place?

I decided that I missed my departing date for my trip some time is not a facter.

Should i have a Perkins Service man come in and do the work?

Should I relax a few days and let my body rest and do the work myself?

With all the work I have done in the last month it's killing me(I am disabled from a back injury)

Went people looking to repower hear the price $10,000 they are shocked as I was but trust me that is a good ball park number, I tought I could save some but in the long run it cost me more because I did not buy from Tadd, what I know now is if i had got a Tadd motor it would have been just a drop in and go. The way I went with shade tree people I am in to this about $7,500

well it would be nice to read what others think

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Where are you?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36   #3

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
30 miles south of Jacksonville FL on the St. Johns River
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote