Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 14:18   #1

Boat: 2009 Beneteau 40
Sailing ... transmission in reverse?

Hi
Have a 2009 Beneteau 40 with Yanmar 4JH4AE engine. Sorry ... don't know which transmission.
Was told when bought boat in 2011 not to put it in reverse when sailing (to stop prop turning). If I put in reverse then have to almost stop boat to get into neutral.
I have now read that leaving shaft turning while sailing leads to much quicker wear so should engage reverse.
Any comment?
I will try and find transmission type but info plate on engine leaves this space empty!!
Thanks, JohnB40
JohnB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 14:32   #2

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Sailing ... transmission in reverse?

I think different transmissions have different instructions on this, and your best bet is probably your service manual. Having said that, the manual for my Westerbeke 82B with a Hurth transmission says to put it in reverse gear while sailing, but also says its OK to leave it in neutral! I have confirmed with a couple of techs, however, that it's best to put it in reverse on my boat, and it keeps things quieter too. Like you mentioned, something about lubrication. I also know there are plenty of boats that always have the shaft spinning in neutral.

Sorry, not much help, but I do think each boat's set-up may be different.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2014, 14:43   #3

Boat: csy 37

my borg warner velvet drive can be left in neutral, according to the owners manual, but i know that some brands specifically state that the shaft must be braked to prevent it from rotating.

the reason given is that, when the engine is running, the 'input' shaft in the transmission is also spinning the internal oil pump, which lubricates the transmission. when the transmission is being turned by it's 'output' shaft (propellor shaft), the oil pump is not being driven, and the internal parts that are spun by the output shaft are not being lubricated.

or at least that's what i've read. so like 'exile' says, RTFM (read the fine manual).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 01:01   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

Both points are valid here....wear on trans and noise of spinning shaft! Both are alleviated by selecting reverse. On passage there is nothing worse than a noise below while trying to rest between watches in your bunk.
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 04:27   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB40 View Post
Hi
Have a 2009 Beneteau 40 with Yanmar 4JH4AE engine. Sorry ... don't know which transmission.
SNIP
I have now read that leaving shaft turning while sailing leads to much quicker wear so should engage reverse.
If you do not know what transmission you have then no one can help you find out how best to use that transmission. The answer depends on the type of transmission because in most cases there is a tradeoff...

Can you say whether it is a saildrive or conventional transmission? Can you post photos of the transmission?

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 04:35   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

This is the Yanmar bulletin.

"Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar's Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory "MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection" for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer Support representative."
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 04:52   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Does anyone know where to download a copy of ""MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection"? Or is it only available to Distributors?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 04:57   #8

There is this.

http://www.g-o.dk/Files/Billeder/Int...ctionforSD.pdf
Old 27-05-2014, 05:00   #9

More info here on page 16

http://yanmar.com/product/marineplea...OM_27MAR09.pdf

Tags
sail, sailing, transmission