Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: Sail with Tranny in Reverse or Neutral ?

assuming it's a HBW 50, here is what the owner's manual says.

Quote:
When the engine is off, and the boat sails, moves in tow or is anchored, the propeller may turn with the water current.
CAUTION. Idling position of the propeller: gear shift lever must be in «O» position. Use the shift position opposite to the direction of travel for locking the propeller shaft, otherwise the transmission will be damaged.
The "zero" position means neutral.
Old 02-06-2011, 17:45   #17

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I went to diesel school at Mack Boring (the north american distributor for Yanmar) and this exact question was asked. The answer was to put it in reverse, the reason being that you dont want the prop turning and therefore transmission gears turning without lubrication circulating. Someone objected that there was a new directive to put the engine in neutral and the answer again was "put it in reverse".
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 19:01   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer Support representative."

MSA08-003.pdf

But that is for Yanmar sailboat engines. Here's the statement for Hurth boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I ALWAYS sail with the trans in REVERSE, because that's what YANMAR says to do!!! PERIOD!!!!! Something about lack of lubrication while free wheeling... I have a 1GM..
I would love to see where Yanmar said or stated in print to lock it in reverse. Can you tell us what manual or MSA from Yanmar that was printed in? I have multiple series of Yanmar manuals and their service manuals, including the GM series, and I have never seen that in print.

I have a customer who broke a Yanmar gear box who would love to have that in print to help his case..

As others have said "it all depends on your specific gear box"....
Old 02-06-2011, 19:15   #19

Never sailed with a tranny.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 20:12   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Never sailed with a tranny.

Not knowingly, at least.

allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 21:18   #21

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanpeda View Post
Not knowingly, at least.

Well... at the risk of going wayyy off-topic as regards transexuals (and somewhat risque... if this is too much, please delete.)

Forgetting to tuck in your nuts, priceless (Images & Pictures)

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 22:36   #22

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

I've got 1GMs with KM2-C box & this week is repair the box week!! It was slipping under load in the forward direction OK in reverse. The drive cone has been hand lapped & will be tested shortly. (all parts are within specs not bad for a boat launched 1984) It has been repaired before I got the boat over 14yrs ago. I've have folding 2 blade props & have always used reverse to ensure fully folded then selected neutral. If you turn the prop by hand you will find it locked one way & will turn (slip) the other direction. With power applied the drive clutch will be pushed in tight but if is driven by water then it may turn as described above & wear will result if you have a fixed prop. The only issue I have is the cost of parts here in Australia more than 2 1/2 times the USA prices & there are issues trying to buy from USA!!!

Now back to my repair Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:08   #23
Marine Service Provider

Volvo gearboxes state that you must leave gearbox in neutral while sailing with a fixed prop (folding props need gearbox stopped to fold then there is no load)

I made the mistake of sailing at 8-10 knots with the lever in reverse to stop the prop turning and the gearbox locked up it took several hours to free, and we arrived at a new harbour with only reverse, we had to start the engine with the box in reverse and then coax it back into neutral. It seemed that we didn't suffer any long term damage though.
4HMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35   #24

We have a Yanmar 3GM30F, and I'm not understanding the lubrication concern. I know the automatic transmission in my car can be damaged by improper towing due to lack of lubrication, by my boat isn't a car. My Yanny's tranmission is just a gear train that's submerged in an oil bath. Whether turning or not, forward, neutral, or reverse, engine on or off, the gears are covered by a half a liter of motor oil. So how can they possibly be damaged by 'lack of lubrication?'
robertsapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:43   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i leave mine for my 4-108 in neutral-- makes noises when i sail at speeds greater than 5 kts.lol....is how i know i am sailing decent speeds when i am not on watch.......NO, my boat CANNOT use a feathering nor a folding prop as there is no room between the prop and rudder
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:50   #26

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
I've got 1GMs with KM2-C box & this week is repair the box week!! It was slipping under load in the forward direction OK in reverse. The drive cone has been hand lapped & will be tested shortly. (all parts are within specs not bad for a boat launched 1984) It has been repaired before I got the boat over 14yrs ago. I've have folding 2 blade props & have always used reverse to ensure fully folded then selected neutral. If you turn the prop by hand you will find it locked one way & will turn (slip) the other direction. With power applied the drive clutch will be pushed in tight but if is driven by water then it may turn as described above & wear will result if you have a fixed prop. The only issue I have is the cost of parts here in Australia more than 2 1/2 times the USA prices & there are issues trying to buy from USA!!!

Now back to my repair Regards Bill
Again, it all depends. Not all feathering or folding props are equal. A feathering prop like a MaxProp is just the opposite: if you want to feather the blades, shut down the engine while the transmission is in forward gear. If you want to lock the blades (e.g., if you want to drive a shaft alternator while on a passage), ease back on the throttle to idle, then shift into reverse and shut the engine down.

Bottom line is, check with your manufacturer first to see how your transmission (and feathering/folding prop) works...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:52   #27

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Re: Sail with tranny in reverse or neutral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Your source?? Got a link????
There are many, MaineSail beat me to it, but here is another discussion thread:
SailboatOwners.com - A Definitive Answer (YANMAR Gear Position)
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07   #28

Boat: Bombay PH 31

I found out a hurth HBW-50 is supposed to be in reverse or nutral while looking for repair manuals.
Nough said.
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You never want to let a prop freewheel for a few reasons. Mostly wear and noise.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:34   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You never want to let a prop freewheel for a few reasons. Mostly wear and noise.
if one dislikes the noise and wear, then is a way to anchor the shaft on boats like mine using a rig to the woodruff key. i dont like htat-- mine is a borg warner and i am spozed to keep in neutral, per booklet i found online and is not a bother--i like the built in speedometer-- over 5 kts, noisey and i can dig it. isnt an obnoxious noise--i cannot sleep without it, as i know i am under 5 kts in boat speed. none of my leaky teaky friends has lost a transmission from this act, especially as the manual sez to do it this way. the shaft is lubed--i made sure of that one..... prop is in water and not a separate moving part. moves with shaft, which is always moving even when engine is on in neutral. ........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail