Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 22:10   #1

Sail drive to Perkins 4.236M?

I recently bought a Perkins 4.236M engine from year 1993. According to the seller, the engine is rated 80 hp at only 2200 rpm. My boat previously had a Bukh 48 hp engine with a Bukh sail drive, but this engine was all too small for the boat. Is there any sail drive on the market which is compatible with the Perkins engine, or do I have to convert to regular shaft? This is possible, but I would like to avoid it. Any solutions? I am grateful for any answer.
hymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sail drive to Perkins 4.236M?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hymano.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymano View Post
I recently bought a Perkins 4.236M engine from year 1993. According to the seller, the engine is rated 80 hp at only 2200 rpm. My boat previously had a Bukh 48 hp engine with a Bukh sail drive, but this engine was all too small for the boat. Is there any sail drive on the market which is compatible with the Perkins engine, or do I have to convert to regular shaft? This is possible, but I would like to avoid it. Any solutions? I am grateful for any answer.

The 4.236 perkins has 72hp@ 2500rpm as per manual.Ask a volvo dealer abou this because volvo bought perkins so there is a possibility to find a volvo saildrive for your engine
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32   #4

Thanks for your replies. I don't think this engine has been sold under Volvo brand. The Volvos of the same size, for instance MD21/31 and TMD22 all run at higher revs, 3600-4500 rpm, and have significantly smaller displacement than the Perkins' 3,9 litre. Of course, Volvo S130 or S150 could be an alternative anyway.

What about Twin Disc Technodrive SP60? Does anyone have experience from this? According to the dealer, it has a very strong clutch, which copes good with torque at low revs.
hymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02   #5
Marine Service Provider

The Seaprop 60 will not handle the torque of the 4.236.

Volvo did not but Perkins. Volvo and Perkins both use marinised Shibaru engines and as Perkins has a small interest in the Shibaru plant, they keep the Perkins name on the plate because it has a better sound to customers that either Volvo or Shibaru. Caterpiller bought Perkins about 12 years ago.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:20   #6

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

they only sail drive that i know that has been fitted to a Perkins engine was on a 4-108 that i use to have in an old boat of mine it was a enfield z sail drive and i have never seen any fitted to the current M90 or M92 80 hp engines
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote