Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 05:20   #16
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
There really are only two of note. Volvo and Kanzaki/Yanmar. The units are available without engines. They will have an SAE bellhousing patern.

Hi,
ZF make the SD10 saildrive for Beta Marine, Nanni Diesel, Vetus and Volvo. Because of an agreement between ZF and Volvo, they private label the ones for Volvo but that label is the only difference between the Volvo one and the others.

The advantage of the ZF saildrives is that they have been designed with twin engine installations in mind. They can be used with a left hand or a right hand propeller.

Regards, Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:00   #17

OK all these entries are now pretty dated, but we are testing a Sillette Sonic with an electric propulsion motor in our lab at Electric Yacht. While it's not cheap, the Sonic unit with no lower unit shifting gears is ideal for the electric motor, since that reverses the whole drive train.

The Sonic does mount hard to the hull as opposed to a gasket and a hard mount to the engine/transmission.

Incidently... I see that I can register as a "commercial vendor" and will try to change my settings to reflect that. I am connected with Electric Yacht as its Director of Marketing. So few sailboat owners have electric power on their radars that I feel the need to be more of an evangelist than a promoter.

Tags
saildrive