Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 09:04   #46

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Running hot in Caribbean

With marginal cooling in the tropics, you can gain a few degrees by running non-antifreeze coolant and removing the thermostat. The auto parts store will stock a coolant that has corrosion inhibitors.

I don't remember whether you had checked for restrictions upstream of the water pump">raw water pump, but I certainly have seen a few in the past. Pull the inlet hose off the pump and put it on the end of a dock hose and see if you can get full backflow without pressure buildup.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:05   #47

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
JR,

Given the size of your boat, and my assumption of hp, that flow rate sounds very low. Heat rejection varies etc. etc. but for comparison NL gen 1800rpm 3cyl, ~10hp needs 300gph or 5gpm.
Oops, typo - that's 14 gpm, not gph.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:20   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
With marginal cooling in the tropics, you can gain a few degrees by running non-antifreeze coolant and removing the thermostat. The auto parts store will stock a coolant that has corrosion inhibitors.

I don't remember whether you had checked for restrictions upstream of the raw water pump, but I certainly have seen a few in the past. Pull the inlet hose off the pump and put it on the end of a dock hose and see if you can get full backflow without pressure buildup.
Being a normally northern boat with annual winterizing I have made it easy to put antifreeze in the raw water side for the winter with one of these mounted on the seacock:

Dock-hose flow from here through strainer to water pump is good. Seacock itself looks good from both sides.
Old 11-03-2018, 15:21   #49

Hello all, this is a long overdue update - with the problem solved (I think).

I got back to the boat in Antigua a few weeks ago with a bag full of parts. Unfortunately the new exhaust elbow was the wrong one! I ordered the correct one listed in the parts manual, and Westerbeke shipped me that part number which was for an elbow that looked right to me while at home but once on the boat I realized it was wrong. The output end was smaller than my original. Getting back in touch with Westerbeke they figured out the right one, but it was, of course, back in the States. Nonetheless I installed the new wrong one temporarily filling the gap with scrap hose material for now. It held fine, but I was worried the smaller output would restrict flow and therefore not prove anything about other repairs.

I also replaced the thermostat and completely flushed the engine leaving the coolant side filled with fresh water only. I captured every drop that was flushed out and it was pretty darn clean. Just a small amount of grit came out.

With everything reassembled and filled I started her up and ran for over 30 minutes, plenty of that at high RPM (2500) and in gear (tied solidly to the dock, so a reasonable load.) The temp gauge settled at about 175 F, about 10 lower then my previously normal operating temp, with no sign of spiking higher. My IR thermometer read a steady 180 on top of the thermostat housing. Perfect.

I then installed a new temp sender but the gauge continued to show 175. So the old sender was just fine. I then drained the water one last time and put in a proper mix of coolant and water. Again the temp gauge settled at 175, and IR thermometer at 180. All I can conclude is the old thermostat was flaky, but I've never seen a thermostat fail with the sort of intermittent behavior I was experiencing. Maybe the original elbow was restricted after all, but it didn't seem to be. Perhaps it was something else causing my problem that all my other fiddling cleared out. No way to know for sure now.

I was alone as my wife still can't travel so I didn't get away from the dock for a true sea trial and load on the engine, but I think my dock test was pretty good, especially since before all these repairs the dock test showed me over-temp.

I have the correct size elbow now from Westerbeke and will install it on my next visit. Hopefully that will be the end of this saga and I'll have happy sailing and motoring days ahead.

Thanks for all input here.

JR
Old 11-03-2018, 15:31   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Damn ... glad you finally got it. I've done everything you've done plus replaced the gauge and am still getting 15 degree difference between the gauge and my IR gun.
Old 11-03-2018, 21:36   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

boatpoker, can you borrow someone else's IR, and check yours against it? Maybe it's become flaky.

Ann
Old 11-03-2018, 21:53   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
boatpoker, can you borrow someone else's IR, and check yours against it? Maybe it's become flaky.

Ann
thanks but I've done that too. I am completely stumped.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25   #53

Boatpoker,

I haven't admitted yet what might have really been the cure. I invoked some magical incantations and nautical sacrifice while working on the engine. This involved plenty of four letter words, blood mixed with grease, and various tools and nuts and bolts sacrificed to the bilge. Under a full moon on an astronomically high tide of course. Oh, and rum.

Try that.

JR
Old 12-03-2018, 07:44   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Boatpoker,

I haven't admitted yet what might have really been the cure. I invoked some magical incantations and nautical sacrifice while working on the engine. This involved plenty of four letter words, blood mixed with grease, and various tools and nuts and bolts sacrificed to the bilge. Under a full moon on an astronomically high tide of course. Oh, and rum.

Try that.

JR
That's my next step

Tags
Caribbean, rib