Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 17:12   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Running an Inboard Engine While on the Hard

I'm concerned about the pressure of a garden hose when connected to the raw water intake hose.

Can I use a couple 5 gal buckets of water sitting on the cabin sole for the hose to draw from?

The boat has been sitting on the hard for 2 years, I need to make sure the motor runs before splashing.

Thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:32   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Running an Inboard Engine While on the Hard.

If you have someone hold the end of the hose up to the raw water inlet outside the boat and wrap it with a rag to minimize the leakage they will get wet, the pressure won't be a problem, and there should be enough water for the motor.

Since it has been sitting so long, you should take the impeller out of the raw water pump, lubricate it, and re-install it--otherwise you will lose some vanes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:33   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Running a hose directly to the raw water intake is asking for hydrolocking trouble if you're not careful. I like the bucket idea better. Impellers are cheap, connecting rods are not.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I agree that holding it by hand with some rags wrapped around it is fine. There will only be a few pounds of pressure in your inlet line....not enough to blow a hose or any seals.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:41   #5

Boat: Bristol 34
My engine guy uses the bucket method. He can keep an eye on the amount of water in the bucket and not worry about the pump at all.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 17:54   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Bucket method . We do this twice a year for winterizing and then preparing for spring launch.

Run the garden hose and the fresh water intake hose into the bucket and let the fresh water pump do its thing. Check the impeller first! Probably should be changed. Fill the bucket as you run the engine.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you are just trying to see if the engine will start, you don't need raw water cooling. You can run the engine for quite awhile without any cooling water on the salt side. Wouldn't try and run it at max rpm but at idle you'd be surprized how long before the coolant temp gets really hot. If you feel you need to have cooling water on the salt side, buckets will do the job.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:12   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Can I use a couple 5 gal buckets of water sitting on the cabin sole for the hose to draw from?
Put the intake hose in a 5 gal bucket. Put a water hose with an adjustable nozzle into the same bucket. Fill the bucket. Start the engine and adjust the input water flow so the water level in the bucket stays constant. You can run as long as you want this way.
Old 14-02-2012, 19:10   #9

Thanks Ya'll,
Lots of good help.
Old 14-02-2012, 19:36   #10

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

If it were me and I wanted to run the engine for a while. I would remove the impeller and use the rag and hose option. If you just want to see if it will start don't sweat it. Just start it run for a minute or two and shut it down.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:43   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

How I do this: first make sure start batteries are fully charged. Next, while pressing the stop button I turn the key to crank the engine. This prevents the engine from actually starting, while turning it over. This shows it can actually turn, it lubes it a bit, you see if belts, alternators etc. are all good etc. etc.

Next I start it for real. I have the seacock closed and the lid removed from the sea strainer. I then use a hose to keep the sea strainer filled. It's kind of like the bucket method using the sea strainer instead... mine take a gallon of water so might be a bit easier than smaller ones.

Also, if the engine didn't run for some time: check if the prop shaft will turn. I have seen shaft seals frozen etc.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How I do this: first make sure start batteries are fully charged. Next, while pressing the stop button I turn the key to crank the engine. This prevents the engine from actually starting, while turning it over. This shows it can actually turn, it lubes it a bit, you see if belts, alternators etc. are all good etc. etc.

Next I start it for real. I have the seacock closed and the lid removed from the sea strainer. I then use a hose to keep the sea strainer filled. It's kind of like the bucket method using the sea strainer instead... mine take a gallon of water so might be a bit easier than smaller ones.

Also, if the engine didn't run for some time: check if the prop shaft will turn. I have seen shaft seals frozen etc.

ciao!
Nick.
Excellent!

Thanks

BTW,
I cant seem to find a service manual to download ( 3gm30f).
My local dealer doesn't have any in stock and I need one YESTERDAY.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:25   #13

Quote:
Excellent!

Thanks

BTW,
I cant seem to find a service manual to download ( 3gm30f).
My local dealer doesn't have any in stock and I need one YESTERDAY.
Check at boatdiesel.com, you might be able to download one from that site. If they have one to download you might need to become a member for $25. Well worth it IMO, great site.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
I'm concerned about the pressure of a garden hose when connected to the raw water intake hose.

The boat has been sitting on the hard for 2 years, I need to make sure the motor runs before splashing.

Thanks
Definitely check the impeller and definitely turn it over without starting to get some oil moving about.

You want to use a bucket and let the engine "suck" what it will for a given RPM from the bucket.

Connecting pressurized water to the engine is about the best way to guarantee to hydrolock it. I have seen this happen too many times and a few resulted in a totaled engine. Street pressures are often a lot more than the RW system can handle and the water fills the water lift then backs up into the cylinders. If the engine is running at a good clip when this happens, well, water is not compressible..... Doh'......!

Placing the bucket in the cockpit will keep the cabin drier and you can also add a valve to the end of the hose to "balance" the inlet to outflow.

Engine RPM can also be used to get the balance dialed in just right. Just get a longer hose from the raw water pump inlet to reach the cockpit or even the galley sink...

Ignore the fact that this is winterizing just focus on the in/out bucket..

Old 14-02-2012, 21:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You want to use a bucket and let the engine "suck" what it needs from the bucket. Connecting pressurized water to the engine is about the best way to guarantee to hydrolock it. I have seen this happen too many times and a few resulted in a totaled engine.

Placing the bucket in the cockpit will keep the cabin drier and you can also add a valve to the end of the hose to "balance" the inlet to outflow. Engine RPM can also be used to get the balance dialed in just right. Just get a longer hose from the raw water pump to reach the cockpit or even the galley sink...
I have 80 gals water in stainless tanks under my cabin sole but I put 1/2 cup bleach in each 40 gal tank the other day.
I thought my motor might not like the bleach though but am not sure.
Too bad because the garden hose fits right inside the water tanks.

Tags
engine, on the hard