Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2016, 10:48   #1

Boat: Yankee 30'
ring gear for Universal M25

I am looking for ring gear for Universal M25, also known as Universal 5421 or serial # D850-221138. None of the parts lists show ring gear as a separate item. All other small Kubota based engines list ring gear as part #299504 . This costs $236. The flywheel assembly part # for M25 and M25XP is 300169 available as Regular Price: $1,867.28, On Sale For: $1,285.45. Kubota dealers show different looking flywheel at similar prices. I can't tell if the ring gear would be the same. My guess and hope is that it is, I haven't taken the tranmission off yet, eventually I will have the ring gear dimension and tooth count.
So, does anyone knows the answer or solution to my problem, or know an expert I can reach to ask this question. Ideally, I would buy the ring gear from a Kubota dealer, but I don't know if it exists as a Kubota part.
And yes, I contacted one parts outlet and asked this question, they wrote back only with all above info I already found.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:07   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: ring gear for Universal M25

I can't imagine that being a different part. The D850 engine in the B1550 tractor uses the same starter so it must be the same ring gear. Is there a shop near you? If so you could bring the old one in to compare with the new one.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:39   #3

Thanks Capn JGW, music to my ears. There is hope!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If it's stripped on the gears on the starter side, could it be turned around? Is it shrunk onto the flywheel?
yes, go to the tractor dealer!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 13:10   #5

Thanks Cheechako, that may be the way to go. Meanwhile, i found the part number for Kubota D-850 ring gear (1526263820) for $84. And a machine shop I visited today on unrelated business said that if I support the flywheel by the ring gear and heat the ring gear up with a torch, the flywheel should drop out.
I guess I can rotate the gear, probably 60 degrees it being a 3 cylinder engine, to get an undamaged segment into the starter window. I used to work on cars and we routinely split the ring gear with a cold chissel to get it off, never tried to save it.
So I feel encouraged.
Old 10-10-2016, 13:49   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

The only part one would ever need to get from Westerbeke/Universal is the exhaust manifold, and good luck with that. Everything else is Kubota. water pump">Raw water pump, heat exchanger and transmission aren't Kubota but can be had for a fraction of Universal prices from aftermarket sources.
Old 10-10-2016, 14:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
Thanks Cheechako, that may be the way to go. Meanwhile, i found the part number for Kubota D-850 ring gear (1526263820) for $84. And a machine shop I visited today on unrelated business said that if I support the flywheel by the ring gear and heat the ring gear up with a torch, the flywheel should drop out.
I guess I can rotate the gear, probably 60 degrees it being a 3 cylinder engine, to get an undamaged segment into the starter window. I used to work on cars and we routinely split the ring gear with a cold chissel to get it off, never tried to save it.
So I feel encouraged.
I wouldn't rotate it, flip it over. But at $84 I'd replace it! Too much work getting everything apart to mess around.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 18:18   #8

Cheechako, most ring gear I saw had the teeth bevelled on one side to ease the bendix in. That's why I thought about turning is rather than reversing. $84 sounds indeed like what I imagined it would cost, not $238, so that would be the way to do it. But, lol, rather than paying $238, I would reverse it and file/grind the bevel on each and every one of the 98 teeth. Cheap (and broke) I am.
Old 10-10-2016, 20:41   #9

Boat: Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
Cheechako, most ring gear I saw had the teeth bevelled on one side to ease the bendix in. That's why I thought about turning is rather than reversing. $84 sounds indeed like what I imagined it would cost, not $238, so that would be the way to do it. But, lol, rather than paying $238, I would reverse it and file/grind the bevel on each and every one of the 98 teeth. Cheap (and broke) I am.
Simply "turning" the gear is not really an option. You can't be sure the flywheel won't stop in the position that presents the broken tooth to the starter gear.

By the way, filing the gears is a very short-term solution. The gears are likely case-hardened, and filing them will remove the hard layer, reducing the lifetime rather significantly, and you would just have to do the job again a bit sooner than you would like.

Tags
gear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: