Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 10:38   #31

Re: Reuse paper impeller gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
It is true that it is easy to make your own gaskets when needed. However, in the case of impeller pump cover gaskets, only use very thin material, similar to that of the OEM gasket. Thicker material (like cereal packaging) will create a too large gap between impeller and cover and the pump will not prime well, and may fail completely, even with a new impeller.

Jim
Yep

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 10:47   #32

Why would one go to the problem of pulling the cover and not replacing the impeller, does not make sense to me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 04:39   #33

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Why would one go to the problem of pulling the cover and not replacing the impeller, does not make sense to me

The impellers are pretty new (less than 25 hours). I took the impellers out for winter storage and plan on putting the same ones back in.
It’s not much trouble to remove the impeller, maybe a 10 minute job.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 10:40   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Once upon a time no one bought gaskets, even if they could be found in stock.

You buy a piece of gasket paper (available by the foot in any real machine shop or auto supply), lay the old one on top of it, trace it with a pencil, and use an X-Acto knife to but out a brand new one.

And if you don't have or want to buy gasket paper, you take a piece of Tyvek (plastic) which conveniently can be had for free as a large USPS or Fedex envelope, and make the new gasket out of that.

LocTite and PermaTex both sell "liquid gasket" products and any one of those should do. Check the label for appropriate (water, fuel) use. If you make sure both surface are clean and dry, and apply and allow to cure AS PER INSTRUCTIONS, they all work perfectly. No fuss and a universal fit--although you must let them cure per the instructions, which might mean overnight.

No big mysteries there.

I'd expect most paper gaskets are like copper crush washers: They deform and crush into place. They're meant to be used once and thrown away.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket