Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 10:03   #31

Boat: S2 9.2C
Re: Repowering - NC, come help us?

Well, the outboard well idea was just vetoed... A "not over my dead body" kind of veto... I think the rudder would not allow for that, come to think of it. Phooey...
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Ok This will get tons of flames
But an idea might be to put in an
Atomic 4
I know it's gas with all the associated issues
But you can get them cheap, plenty of
Used and New engines + Parts available
Check out Moyer Marine
Had one on my Ericson 27 for years
I'd check eBay
Well, I've been looking around, but I have not seen any in good condition. Even ebay... Saw one on there, way over priced. That, and the original set up was for a diesel... Would there be issues with the tank in light of that?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:21   #33

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Take a look at this engine:

Yanmar 3GMD Marine Diesel Sailboat 20 HP Complete Engine Transmission 2 6 1 | eBay
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 323

How easy do you think it will be to pull the existing motor out of the middle of the salon and hoist a new one in? Those things are not light so is there an access cavity through you deck?
Jerry Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've repaired and rebuilt many engines in my life. It's always cheaper to rebuild an existing engine than replacing when you consider all the costs in installing a different engine. Including antique and rare engines. Unless the engine ran w/o oil or had extreme temperatures, it can be rebuilt.
Companies that rebuild engines often have sources of internal parts not on the open market. Often on rare engines, parts can be reconditioned. Any decent head rebuilder has access to parts for anything or can get custom items made.
Many marine engines were also sold as industrial or tractor engines. There is a huge supply train for tractor rebuilders. The more you can do the cheaper it will be, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39   #36

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

A friend of mine has a Tartan 34 sloop and he re-powered with a used Yanmar. The engine is in the main salon like yours. He built a gantry out of lumber to pull the engine with a chain hoist. The marina operator hooked up the engine to the travel lift to complete the removal. He modified the engine beds to accommodate the new engine.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23   #37

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamWrenRoo View Post
Well, the outboard well idea was just vetoed... A "not over my dead body" kind of veto... I think the rudder would not allow for that, come to think of it. Phooey...
Well, "Over my dead body" could imply a veto, or might simply be instructions on how to accomplish your goal :-)

The rudder does appear to be in the way for you, though the engine need not be mounted on the centerline. You might be able to mount to one side or the other. As for its effect on resale value - it would be a simple matter to close up the hole if the inboard was restored. The outboard is worth considering if that is the direction you'd like to go anyway. I have a Beta in my boat which performs flawlessly, yet if I was going to repower I'd seriously consider going to an outboard for reasons which you and others have mentioned.

Ultimately I agree with others who say the simplest solution is either to restore your engine or find a drop-in replacement.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Well, "Over my dead body" could imply a veto, or might simply be instructions on how to accomplish your goal :-)

The rudder does appear to be in the way for you, though the engine need not be mounted on the centerline. You might be able to mount to one side or the other. As for its effect on resale value - it would be a simple matter to close up the hole if the inboard was restored. The outboard is worth considering if that is the direction you'd like to go anyway. I have a Beta in my boat which performs flawlessly, yet if I was going to repower I'd seriously consider going to an outboard for reasons which you and others have mentioned.

Ultimately I agree with others who say the simplest solution is either to restore your engine or find a drop-in replacement.
Muah ha ha... Your first comment is too funny.
You are right about the rudder, I looked at the schematics of my boat more closely, it would totally work. But... He is concerned that cutting into the hull in an area which is not designed to take that much weight could make it less structurally sound, which is a valid concern. It would be above the water line, which is reassuring. But we shall see. I'm hoping I can just get him to read the article you linked to. Baby steps...
As far as a drop in possibility goes, I'm getting more nervous about it. The boat is new to me, and quite frankly, has been neglected by previous owners. The area around the prop shaft looks corroded, and until I have it hauled, I have no idea what the prop / prop shaft looks like.
So, here's what I'm thinking... I will not be buying any engine until it is hauled and we have the opportunity to really get in there and see what's what.
If our engine is rebuildable, for a reasonable sum, and the prop / shaft, mounts, engine bed etc. look ok, then we will go with that.
Thank you everyone for your input and wisdom!!!!!
Old 05-05-2016, 13:22   #39

Have you researched electric power ? Seems like a possible option and there is a lot on info about converting on the web. Checkout YouTube "Sailing UMA" Steve
Stemci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:42   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Re horse power

I have a Brewer 33'er, steel, 16,000lb. 13hp Volvo.

Not going anywhere fast but adequate.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:57   #41

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

my 2 cents...forget outboards, you'll ruin resale value..
dump /sell the f'n diesel, too old no parts, not common
get a good used yanmar 15-20 hp or perkins m20
or save yur money and get a new yanmar next year...
Old 05-05-2016, 18:13   #42

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
There is your answer, there are lots of deals like this on E-Bay and Craigslist. As far as engine removal, take the old engine apart and carry it up piece by piece. New engine, a couple of cases of beer and 4 strong friends. A 3 or 4 cylinder diesel is not that heavy for some strong guys. You probably can do the engine installation your self, other than shaft alignment. I would get a mechanic to help you with that.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 16:25   #43

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I have been looking at buying that yanmar some posted a few posts back.

I have a Perkins m20 that needs a new crank. In all honesty I would fix this engine I have but I am lazy and want something that will require a tad less work. I'd be willing to ship if anyone is interested, transmission, wire harness and all.

Regarding that yanmar, what has held me back was the fact that that oil filter looks like ass, there are multiple hose clamps missing as well. God knows how well the current seller has taken care of it but that oil filter really stands out to me for some reason.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 16:29   #44

Hard to say , that pic looks pretty clean. Something must have been dripping on the filter to get it that rusty...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 17:55   #45

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hard to say , that pic looks pretty clean. Something must have been dripping on the filter to get it that rusty...?
Yeah, i was thinking that, or possibly they just screwed an old one on due to the lack of it not having one? So many things could cause it.

Makes me think twice about buying from ebay, sight un-seen. Even with "video" evidence, its not hard to film a running one and ship out the defective one...
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower