Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 23:19   #1

Boat: Leopard 45
Repowering Ford Lehman 109HP diesel

The engine has given good service - 9000 hrs. Some would say if well maintained she will do another 9, which may be right.

I am replacing the genset which will have to come out again to have the engine out, whether for a rebuild or replacement - 2 days work to remove hatch, saloon table etc and replace - which if I am going to have done, would prefer it were done once.

The Ford is a good, if a bit noisy, quite slow reving motor and I am tossing up between a rebuild and replacement with some smaller newer.

The top end has been rebuilt recently following purchase - head, heat exchanger, manifolds, exhaust system etc. which was mot cheap.

A newer smaller motor, leaving more room in the engine room is quite appealing at one level. Parts on the Ford are easy and not that expenive to come by, compared to Volvo (I have had three).

Welcome experiences of repowering on similar sized vessels - 46', 20 ton ketch. I want a solid, low revving, economic engine that will do another 10,000 hrs min.
nmit5903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 23:49   #2

Re: Repowering Ford Lehman 109HP diesel

I faced the same situation a few years back with a Lehman 80 hp....repair or replace?? I had a very experienced fitter advising me, and he quietly pointed in the direction of replace, no pressure, and despite the fact that repair would have meant more work for his shop.

I went replace, WM Diesel based Kubota. Cost far more than repair. But new engine is smaller, lighter, quieter, more fuel efficient. I haven't regretted the decision. And a new motor means everything is new...starter, injector pump, etc, etc.

The Ford was a grand engine in its day (both 4 & 6 cylinder), but times have moved on. And parts are increasingly hard to come by. Difficult to find a new manifold, or high pressure fuel lines, for example.

just a few thoughts,
lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:49   #3

Thanks. Good advice and when we get around to it I suspect we will go the same way. One of the things that has slowed me down is all the extra gear hanging of the Ford - 3 alternators, mechanical bilge pump which pumps 10 times the volume of water than the electric ones. Hopefully some of it can be reused.
Old 01-12-2013, 14:15   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Repowering Ford Lehman 109HP diesel

There are two engines that I would consider for a repower. Both are reported to cost about the same.

The first and without a doubt the strongest is the factory remanned Cummins 6BT 210 hp. It is about the same displacement as the Lehman but the turbo lets it put out more horsepower. But you don't need to use that hp. Run it at about 1,600 rpm and it will last forever.

The other is a John Deer 4045. It is a 4 cylinder but has a balance shaft which makes it smooth. It is a very heavy engine for its displacement which usually means long life. It will be shorter than the Cummins which should give you more space in your engine room.

They come in a naturally asipirated version of 80 hp and a turbo version of 135 hp.

Northern Lights/Lugger marinizes the JD and calls theirs the L1064.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 00:10   #5

Thank you David. That's very helpful. No doubt less costly to have done in the US too. Aust is about 30% more than anywhere else in the world as far as I can see.

Tags
diesel, lehman, repower