Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 15:07   #1

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls
Repowering a bristol 40

There's a very nice Bristol 40 for sale at Bert Jabin's Yard here in Annapolis, for $8500 because it doesn't have an engine. I was on it yesterday and it's in really great nick.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...050385720.html

According to Sailboatdata they were built with 30hp Atomic 4, although I believe the one that was removed because it old and failed compression tests was a 40hp diesel. All the hoses are in place for a replacement. Can anyone suggest a guestimate of how much it might cost to put another 30hp+ diesel inboard?

Thanks for suggestions.

Brendan
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 15:16   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Repowering a bristol 40

Repower is around $200 to $400 per 1 horsepower. 30 horses equals $6000 to $12,000 depending on lots of variables.
Old 25-01-2020, 16:07   #3

Do you wish to stay with a gasoline powered engine like the Universal Atomic 4 or repower to diesel?

Does your boat still have the transmission, that is to say, only the engine is removed? Does the owner still have the old engine so as to exchange it for a rebuild?

https://moyermarine.com/

Moyer Marine are the leading provider of parts and services for the Universal® Atomic 4 Engine. We offer everything from completely rebuilt engines to those hard to find remanufactured parts

Moyer Marine offers you the following 3 choices for engine rebuilding options. Call us at 610-421-4436 or 717-766-8777 to confirm prices and place your order.

1. Basic Moyer Marine Exchange Engine: All Moyer Marine Exchange Engines include a new head, new manifold, electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, new carburetor, new 55 amp alternator, and a new Moyer Marine Flange Pump. Each engine configuration is available in direct drive, reduction and v-drive models. Prior to shipping, all MMI Exchange Engines are test run on a dynamometer at Universal’s recommended cruising power (2000 RPM) to insure that they meet original O.E.M. specifications.
Complete exchange engine options:
$5407 (late model direct drive)
$5462 (2:1 reduction)
$5462 (v-drive)
These prices do not include a $700 core charge which is refunded when we receive your rebuildable engine in our shipping container.

2. New Block Exchange Engine: In addition to the obvious benefit of a new block, New Block Exchange Engines include the following two important upgrades; (1) Cathodic protection is integrated into the main water jacket, and (2) A Full flow oil filter is added directly after the oil pump to insure that the rest of the oil swept system is receiving newly filtered oil. Except for the new block and these two important upgrades, these engines are configured and tested in the same manner as our traditional exchange engines; including electronic ignition, electric fuel pump, new carburetor, a new Moyer Marine Flange Pump and a new 55 amp alternator.
Complete new block exchange engine options:
$6907 (late model direct drive)
$6962 (2:1 reduction)
$6962 (v-drive)
These prices do not include a $700 core charge which is refunded when we receive your rebuildable engine in our shipping container.

3. Short Block Exchange Engine: If you like to do your own work, a Moyer Marine Short Block is a great way to save hundreds of dollars. With an MMI Short Block (available with either a used or new block), you can simply move your head, manifold, and other sub-assemblies from your old engine and end up with an engine with the internal core of one of our complete Exchange Engines. Our goal with this option is to complete the most difficult items you are likely to encounter during an overhaul so that the work remaining is well within the reach of even a casual do-it-yourselfer. If you have any concerns over the condition of any of your other parts or sub-assemblies you can price them from the “quick quote” calculator – most of them at a substantial discount when purchased with the short block option.

https://betamarinepnw.com/beta-30hp-...diesel-engine/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 16:31   #4

Depends on if you go with new or a rebuild.

Try Betamarine for a decent price on new. They can probably match the original motormounts.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 18:22   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

sounds like a nice boat, would be a shame to spoil it with an engine.

https://kellycontroller.com/shop/mars-0913/
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 18:27   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

I would budget 15K-20K for a beta 38 to replace the Perkins they came with
Old 25-01-2020, 18:42   #7

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

I’m wondering about putting an outboard bracket On the transom and looking for a Honda 30. Too ugly? Effective? Comments?
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 09:43   #8

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

NO! Gasoline engines are higher rev low torque motors that don’t do well at pushing displacement vessels through the water, and that’s just physics. Aesthetically it would be a nightmare And dynamically having all that weight hung off the transom of a boat with a long overhang would be a disaster in anything but flat marina water. So again, no! If you must, consider getting a rebuilt atomic for that will drop right in, But if your budget allows, diesel is the only way to go.
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 09:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanwalls View Post
There's a very nice Bristol 40 for sale at Bert Jabin's Yard here in Annapolis, for $8500 because it doesn't have an engine. I was on it yesterday and it's in really great nick.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...050385720.html

According to Sailboatdata they were built with 30hp Atomic 4, although I believe the one that was removed because it old and failed compression tests was a 40hp diesel. All the hoses are in place for a replacement. Can anyone suggest a guestimate of how much it might cost to put another 30hp+ diesel inboard?

Thanks for suggestions.

Brendan

Where has the engine that was in it gone? Is it practical to rebuild it?
Old 26-01-2020, 09:50   #10

Have you thought about going electric? Use the engine bay for a genset and batteries. Add some solar/wind.

If I ever need to power my B41.1 I'm seriously considering that route. I typically only use the engine for leaving the harbor, and then we are under sail.

Just a thought. I believe that this tech is coming into its own now...
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 10:01   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

I am in the process of repowering my Tartan 40. It had a Universal 50 (Kaboda) that was actually a 44 hp diesel. I am repowering with a Beta 38 hp. All research indicates the 38 is plenty of hp. The engine was $11k and change. Total labor will be around $9k.
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 10:34   #12

ob44 has it right. Budget twenty grand. The engine acquisition cost can be determined with accuracy. The installation cost cannot. If you put a Kubota on bearers that previously accommodated an Atomic or some other make of diesel, a lot of the plumbing will have to be changed. The shaft installation may have to be modified and the prop may have to be adjusted/exchanged. $20K will just about do it.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 11:26   #13

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Yep, I agree with ob44 and TrentePieds. We put a Beta 16 in our Bristol 29.9 two years ago. Assume $20,000 all in, maybe a bit more. Certainly not less.
Old 26-01-2020, 11:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanwalls View Post
I’m wondering about putting an outboard bracket On the transom and looking for a Honda 30. Too ugly? Effective? Comments?
The Bristol 40 high above water overhanging transom configuration is very poorly suited to installing an outboard motor. The shaft length required to keep it deep in the water would be VERY long, a custom build of the bottom end unit, and the weight of such largish power of a motor would set your stern down and your bow up.

Simplest solution is a new or rebuilt replacement engine of the same type that was removed, if the old engine is still available then you would not incur a core charge, albeit a freight charge to have is sent to the supplier. Converting to another engine type will make installation much more challenging, likely beyond a DIYers skills. The hardest task in repowering with the same engine type is just getting the old unit out and the new or rebuilt unit back into the inconveniently located engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bristol_40_drawing.gif
Views:	140
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	207608  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 12:07   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

What about a transmission? With a new one, in Annapolis, I would say it would cost you 20- 25g, depending on issues like mounting, shaft alignment, exhaust and the like. Bay Shore Marine is right there in the Jabins complex. Get a quote from them on the engine of your choice. My 55 HP Westerbeke and Zf trans was 20g installed in 2008 at Hartge Yacht Yard in Galesville MD.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower