Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 00:57   #1

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
Repowering a 37' Buchan

I am in a predicament, where I have a diesel engine that won't unfreeze and a sailboat that is not made for an outboard. I am having the transom inspected for the possibility of an outboard motor bracket mounted and attaching a Merc 25 Standard Shaft(I think). The Hull is 1/4 inch thick hand laid fiberglass and is from 1970. It looks to be structurally sound. How many people out there have mid size cruisers with a mounted outboard? Of those who utilize outboard motors for power, how many horses do you need to get around effectively?
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Repowering a 37' Buchan

I wouldn't mount a 25hp outboard on a 1/4" transom without some serious re-inforcing with thick plywood and extra grp. The weight of that outboard bouncing up and down in bad weather would be a real concern. The other problem with mounting an outboard on a transom is that the engine will be constantly lifted in and out of the water as you power though the waves. The prop will ventilate and probably need constant attention to get any drive. Finally you are looking at a standard shaft 21" engine. The prop must be well down in the water and clear of the transom or you loose a huge amount of that drive if the transom blanks the prop.

Personally I would go back to looking at the existing diesel engine, or find a second hand replacement, particularly on a 37 foot boat. A replacement doesn't need to be the same make or size so lots of possible options. It also means you don't have to carry around large quantities of petrol but can use diesel instead, which I think the forum will agree much safer on a yacht.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 23:01   #3

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'

these were my thoughts about it as well. I am planning if we do an outboard bracket to have it reinforced with either marine grade plywood or a more solid beefier wood. I am still trying to revive the Isuzu Pisces Diesel that she came with but have not been able to get it to crank over with a wrench. I have had the injectors removed and sprayed PB Blaster, Corrosion X, and poured Marvel Mystery Oil in each injector portal(term?), but she hasn't budged yet. We are going to attack it again with a longer bar, and I am in the middle of selling all my other toys to finance the repair, replacement, or repowering with an outboard. I would really like to hear from a couple people about their setups, I have seen several boats 30' and longer which are utilizing outboards for power on the sound, so I know your out there.
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 13:59   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I asked a similar question just a few days ago. You might want to read it for some other comments.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-55806.html

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote