Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 00:53   #1

Repower Flying Dutchman- how much is needed/wanted

Boat is a 1977 Flying Dutchman FD-12 by Tayana. 50' with a 12m waterline, hence the FD-12 name. Apparently them came with a 63 Hp Peugeot engine that was reportedly underpowered, and mine has the 80.

I am thinking of replacing the old Lehman 80 with a modern engine as it is leaking again, and I am getting tired of the constant niggling problems and parts availability

"Transmission" is hydraulic with the pump mounted on the engine and the motor remotely mounted on the shaft. Presumably this costs some power compared to a conventional gearbox. Both motor and pump are new.
This makes installation easy as there is no alignment issue, but a plate would need to be made to mount the pump on the engine

Part of the re-power decision is whether to keep this drive system or go to a conventional gear

I am in Asia and leaning toward Yanmar simply due to the availability of (expensive) parts.

I suspect that I am over propped as the Lehman will not pull full RPM. Prop is adjustable pitch and feathering so this can be changed

Questions:
How much power is required? I would rather have too much, than not enough, to allow for some reserve or to push into a current.
Yanmar offers 75, 80, and 110 HP

I understand the Yanmar likes to run at 80%. Is that 80% RPM or 80% load?
How does that fit with over propping to achieve hull speed at 80%?
Is over propping a bad idea, and should I prop it to pull hull speed at 100% RPM

Keep the hydraulic drive to change to a conventional box?

I need to move from thinking to doing and would appreciate input form those in the know
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower, wanted