Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2011, 07:10   #1

Boat: holiday mansion , cosatal barracuda,38'--kent island mansion
Repower

howdy all, i have a 38'houseboat on chesapeak bay mid-shore,looking for some advice on a repower. I'd like to take out the engines and mount a big enough bracket for a outboard[s]. i'm looking at a 115,225,or smaller ob.. just need trawler speed,and manuvering speed. does anybody have any ideas/or suggestions?

Old 29-01-2011, 07:14   #2

Plenty of HB's were built that way from the factory. You'll want one of the commercially available OB mounts, or fab one up.
I'd look at what the big 30'+ center consoles are running for ideas on mounting.

My guess is you have 2x small block V8's. Why not just rebuild them?

Old 29-01-2011, 07:24   #3

outboards all the way

Go with the big center outboard or twins over the rebuilds. would suggest a single center mount. Gives you good handling and easy of maintains plus you can open up all that space where the old drives where located.

Look into getting the lower unit gears changed to get more torque and swing a flatter prop.
Old 29-01-2011, 07:35   #4

there just a pain in the butt to rebuild ,just to change the oil is a hassle.
Old 29-01-2011, 07:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil59 View Post
there just a pain in the butt to rebuild ,just to change the oil is a hassle.
what engines are in there?
Most all of the V8's used in Marine propulsion are some of the easiest and cheapest engines out there.
Install an oil change pump to handle that part.
What's your plan for lower unit service on a big OB?
Old 29-01-2011, 08:03   #6

repower

230 hp ,volvo penta AQ-211
Old 29-01-2011, 08:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil59 View Post
230 hp ,volvo penta AQ-211
IIRC that's a GM? if so it's a dirt cheap build / upgrade. Heck you could even "update" to a new fuel injected small block 5.0 / 5.7.

As far as the oil change. There are hose fittings that screw in where the brain plug is. Plumb that to a pump and change the oil easier.

Even if you swap to an OB. What about the outdrives? glass work to fill in the transom? paint/gel work?
Old 29-01-2011, 08:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
drphil,

Please accept my apologies in advance...you didn't ask about this, but I believe strongly it needs to be said:

A Holiday Mansion 38' Barracuda houseboat is singularly unsuited for cruising the mid-Bay, or any part of the Chesapeake, including the lower Potomac River and other stretches of open water. It's downright dangerous, no matter the manner in which it is powered -- inboard or outboard.

I say this having lived on a 42' houseboat with BIG twin inboards and having cruised her very actively on the Potomac over a 17-year period. Also, having seen/heard of many houseboat disasters in the Chesapeake area.

The problem is that on the Chesapeake the weather can change very, very quickly due to localized storms. Absolute flat calm conditions -- great for houseboating -- can change rapidly to near survival conditions, especially in relatively open water. Houseboats like the Holiday Mansion and Carlcraft and Gibson and such are just not able to take rough water, even if expertly handled and even if adequately powered and even if in excellent mechanical condition.

I see you're in Kent Island. If you just want to play around in the Narrows area, then just about any type of power would do you OK. If you're thinking about longer trips on the Bay, I'd be VERY VERY careful. A couple of years ago a well-found coastal steel cruiser with a very experienced professional captain was lost off Sandy Point due to a very violent thunderstorm which blew up out of nowhere.

Houseboating is fun. Just about the most fun you can have for the money with your clothes on! But, it needs to be done in very protected waters, IMHO.

Bill
Old 29-01-2011, 08:27   #9

thanks for the info, i 've never had any problems in this area. altho when i had my 34' contest sloop i did run aground alot and all the high spots in kent narrows channel. 5' 9" keel dose'nt work well around here. lol
Old 29-01-2011, 09:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 42' Bob Perry sloop
Good, Phil..

Glad you didn't take it the wrong way. It's not you, so much, since you obviously have boating experience, but I've seen so many neophytes get into trouble with houseboats taken out into open water. Many disaster stories, including loss of boat (frequent) and, almost, life.

BTW, sometimes speed capability will help. My 42' Carlcraft with twin Crusader 350's could make 27 knots...you could pull waterskiers behind! It was sometimes useful in outrunning weather, providing the wave action wasn't prohibitive as it can easily get in relatively open waters. But that's assuming that everything is working well, and as you probably know that's an uncommon occurrence on most houseboats :-)

Better to pick very sheltered waters and just putt around!

Bill

Tags
repower

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: