Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 19:54   #1

Boat: 1974 Uniflite Sport Sedan 28'
Repower

I have a 1974 Uniflite sport and am looking to repower for quite some time. It has two Chrysler 318s. It ran for a while but after sitting for about a yr it would still start after many cranks but one runs a but rough and the other is leaking coolant. Should I perform a tune up despite those engines are so old or should I be looking to repower? I'm planning to keep my boat for a long time so I do have a small budget if repower is an option. So, my question is this, where I can find a reputable marine engine dealer or rebuilder and also inexpensive (reasonably priced). I know I'm asking a lot lol....for some of you seasoned boaters out there...please advice on what I should be looking at and what to expect in terms of looking to repower. Thanks in advance!!!
captainUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Repower

Us engines has these engines for about $2,000 including shipping for rebuilt ones with a seven year warranty. I would be hesitant about dropping a lot of money in repairing them.

Of course while replacing the engines you may also want to take a look at the transmissions, and mounts, and...

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 21:29   #3

Boat: 1974 Uniflite Sport Sedan 28'
Yes, I've came across a few marine engine rebuilders, one of them is Promar in NJ. You're absolutely correct as to not drop too much in repairing an old tired engine. I think it would make sense just buy a long block and swap everything back in and upgrade a few components along the way and still come out ahead. Thanks!!!
captainUni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:58   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Several guys in our owners club run old Chryslers, without too much issue that I know of. Assuming the block is sound and you've got compression in each cylinder... they probably don't take much work.

I understand there are several options for better carburetion and timing, and the cooling system needs some care (new elbows -- and risers, if you've got 'em -- no more than every 5 years) but the latter seems to be a common deal with gas engines, anyway.

Can't believe there's not a bunch of motorheads in your area who could do service for you. Aside from installation (in a boat), flame arrestors, and the cooling system... I think there's not much "marine" required...

-Chris
Old 06-01-2014, 05:42   #5

Hard to say from the limited description of the problems but I'm not sure you need to repower.

The leaking coolant system will have to be replaced or repaired regardless but doesn't neccessarily imply anything regarding the condition of the motor (again hard to say without more details).

Rough running could be ignition or carberator issues both of which may occur on an otherwise solid engine.

I suggest paying a mechanic for a couple hours of his time to go over the whole drivetrain and figure out what is really going on. If repowering is appropriate, it will only add maybe 5% to the cost but if there is no point in repowering it could save you thousands.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote