Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 07:41   #1

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Replacing Yanmar Motor Mounts - anyone with 3rd party success?

Greetings! I need to buy a shiny set of new motor mounts for my Yanmar 4JH2E. There seem to be quite a few 3rd party manufactured mounts that cost a significant amount less than the Yanmar mounts. The ones I keep finding when searching are these from Torresen Marine:

Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

They cost almost $100 less PER MOUNT than the Yanmar mounts. Has anyone tried these or another 3rd party mount with success? After doing some searching, I've gotten a bit worried about using a 3rd party mount. Examples of why I'm worried:

Yanmar engine mounts are a good thing - SailNet Community

ENGINE MOUNTS

I'd love to go with a 3rd party due to cost and convenience. Even if I wanted to buy the Yanmars, I'd have to find a local supplier due to Yanmar's idiotic regional policy. Unless, that is, anyone knows of a online Yanmar part retailer that can ship to Florida. I'd love to buy my replacement parts from Torresen since they have one of the best websites with Yanmar parts, but they can't ship to Florida. Seems I need to throw away all of this great online technology and talk to Billy Bob at some shop 50 miles away to get parts. Yanmar is ridiculous..../rant
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 08:43   #2

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Replacing Yanmar Motor Mounts - anyone with 3rd party success?

How much worse than the Yanmar mounts could the 3rd party ones be? My Yanmar mounts are completely rusted after only 7 years!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There was a report in Practical boat owner a few years ago about replacing the Yanmar mounts with some from Polyflex. These look much better made and engineered than the original ones to my eye.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 09:51   #4

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
How much worse than the Yanmar mounts could the 3rd party ones be? My Yanmar mounts are completely rusted after only 7 years!
seriously, this was the state of mine when I removed them:

Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 10:34   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

For one two and three cylinder engines I'd stick with the yanmar mounts, but for anything more that runs smoothly I'd go with the pyi mounts. We've got a 3cyl Kubota and I put the pyi mounts on it. the mounts I chose were a lot stiffer than the original, so the engine did a lot less of the jumping around at idle.....and it made it quieter too. Your experience may vary.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 12:35   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If they are made in China, you know what you'll get.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:28   #7

I finally replaced the original mounts on my Yanmar 4JH2E at 11 years and 5,000 hours. I ordered R&D mounts from PYI. The new R&D mounts were so much worse than my old Yanmar mounts that I sent them back to PYI who generously refunded my money. I then purchased genuine Yanmar mounts and am very pleased with them. The Yanmar manual says to replace the mounts every two or three years, which I think is a bit excessive. However, the manual has a graph showing the dynamic response (damping) at various RPMs. The R&D mounts would smooth engine above 2600 RPM, but I almost never operate above 2450.

Stick with the Yanmar mounts or find someone with your exact engine who happy with something else. Experimenting is too costly on this subject.
SailorHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32   #8

Boat: Migrator Yachts, Block Island 40, Goosebumps
Send a message via Yahoo to janski

Go to: Certified Diesel & Marine
2640 Avenue of the Americas, Englewood, FL 34224-9720
Phone: 941-475-7270 and Talk to Wane McNail.
I have experienced very friendly service. Wane can get you any part for your diesel.
janski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 20:37   #9

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

This is an old thread but thought I would add some info in case anyone is doing research. I installed R&D replacement mounts on a 4JH2-TE in 2014. The mounts worked fine at higher RPMs but were horrible at idle. And I mean horrible! The teapot practically rattled off the stove. Suddenly we realized how much time we spent at idle --- looking for an anchoring spot, slowly backing when anchoring, waiting for the anchor to be retrieved, entering harbors... we finally pulled the R&D's out and went back to our old Yanmars. Another boat used them and had the same result: R&D Engine Mounts Review – Two At Sea. I would never recommend using these mounts.

And, unlike for Sailor Harry, PYI refused to refund my money and I ended up selling the mounts on ebay at a loss. Too bad because PYI has been terrific every other time I've dealt with them. I believe they realized something was wrong as I don't think they advertise them any longer.
Bruce
s/v Migration
bbalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 21:43   #10

bblan,

Thanks for sharing this. Low rpm Yanmar operation in my experience is the real test of motor mounts. And since my 3JH5e vibrates a lot at anything lower than 1500 rpm, I would think Yanmar knows best. Stick with the guys that engineered their engine for the lowest common denominator of installation challenges when recommending the rights motor mounts for their engine is my thinking!
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 23:32   #11

Boat: Compass 28

If you have a technical background, it's not too hard to get your mind around the basic science of mount selection. A few of the manufacturers very kindly provide excellent selection guides which take into account various issues. A bit of Googling is well worth while.

I did this and bought Trelleborg Cushyfloats, which hold my 2GM up very well, and keep it smoother than the old mounts.

There's nothing very particular about a Yanmar versus a Bukh or Volvo or whatever - it's a certain mass of metal, which wobbles around in a very predictable fashion.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 00:21   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
If you have a technical background, it's not too hard to get your mind around the basic science of mount selection. A few of the manufacturers very kindly provide excellent selection guides which take into account various issues. A bit of Googling is well worth while.

I did this and bought Trelleborg Cushyfloats, which hold my 2GM up very well, and keep it smoother than the old mounts.

There's nothing very particular about a Yanmar versus a Bukh or Volvo or whatever - it's a certain mass of metal, which wobbles around in a very predictable fashion.

Cheers, Graeme
Graeme,

Can you recall the actual model number of the Trelleborg mounts you used on your 2GM. By the way, is your engine a 2GM or 2GM20?

I ask as I thinking I need to replace my 2GM20 soon...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, yanmar