Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 08:33   #1

Replacing throttle control cable inboard diesel

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me understand how to replace the throttle control cable on an inboard diesel? If you see the attached photo, this is the engine side attachment. I was able to disconnect the cable from the engine by removing the cotter pin but the cable is stuck solid into the circular sleeve that you can see in the photo. I tried turning the bolt on the cable but its stuck solid against the sleeve and I can't move it on its own; they turn together. On the throttle side, I tried removing the cotter pin in the sleeve on that side but it seems rusted stuck. And from the few google searches I did, this was supposed to be easy! Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140423_180038.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	79759  
Overlord34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:31   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Replacing throttle control cable inboard diesel

If I'm understanding what you're doing, I believe that sleeve has threads on it. Once you loosen the nut, are you turning it the right way? Do you have the replacement cable that you can compare how it all fits together? If it's really just stuck, try Aerokroil. Let it sit for a while then try turning again. Just luv this stuff. Good luck!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:38   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Did you loosen the nut? The nut is a lock nut, it has to be backed off from the round sleeve before the cable can be unscrewed from the sleeve.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:08   #4

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

I have a similar issue with my perkins 4-107 cable. The cable sleeve end mount clamp is underneath the exhaust manifold and completely impossible to reach with any kind of tool. I managed to work it loose enough to take the old cable out. but I cannot get in to re-attach the cable sleeve end up underneath the manifold. Other than creating another bracket to mount the cable, I am not sure what else to do.
Old 24-04-2014, 13:05   #5

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Just replaced mine on 4-108. I wrapped the new cable into a coil and zip tied it. Then I screwed the end into its receiver on the throttle arm. It was a little wieldy but manageable. I was not going to remove the exhaust manifold! Took all of 5 minutes. The control end was attend last.
Old 24-04-2014, 13:30   #6

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Just replaced mine on 4-108. I wrapped the new cable into a coil and zip tied it. Then I screwed the end into its receiver on the throttle arm. It was a little wieldy but manageable. I was not going to remove the exhaust manifold! Took all of 5 minutes. The control end was attend last.

How would we survive without zip ties!
Old 24-04-2014, 13:45   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. Bletso I wish this had taken me five minutes! Im now at several hours and counting. I tried loosening the lock nut as everyone suggested but I think the cable is so completely inserted into the sleeve that the lock nut has no room to move. When I try twisting the lock nut, the sleeve turns with it. I took another overhead photo for you guys to see to illustrate. Maybe I need to hold the sleeve with pliers while I turn the lock nut?

On the throttle side I'm facing a different issue. There I managed to turn the lock nut which helped pull the cable out of the sleeve half way. I figured I'd try and take the sleeve out in order to twist it off the cable but the cable is being held in place which prevents me from pulling the sleeve out in order to twist it ( took a photo of this too). is how I feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140424_163219.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	79778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140424_162356.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	79779  

Overlord34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags