Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2009, 18:29   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Replacing Fuel Lines

Hi all:

I have a vintage 1985 sailboat. I repowered a couple of years ago and am looking at the fuel lines on the boat. They all look fine but given that the boat is closing in on 25 years old I am wondering if I should preemptively change the fuel lines. The current lines are all CG approved for diesel and some look newer than others but I am getting ready to go to Mexico and don't want to have problems with my engine. I can't finish all the projects that I want to so is this one worth doing now. None of the hose look cracked or checked. Do hoses have manufacturing dates on them?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 18:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Look at the hose clamps. I have a connection I'll replace just because the line was deformed so baldly. Lines get old and I feel the problems shows up as air leaks from old hard fuel lines. Air leaks are a huge PITA to find and fix.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 18:57   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Fuel Lines

Boy, Paul you're really right on about air in the fuel line being a PITA to trace and find. I had one that took me two, almost three days...come to find out, it was going into my primary fuel filter. I only found it by changing it all the fuel lines, the filters, and an electric fuel pump . It was such an insignificant thing I never suspected, but truthfully, I came within seconds of buying a new primary FF and there's almost nothing that could ever go wrong with one besides corrosion.

Just FYI I have two fuel tanks and two separate manifolds plus a generator on board so I know it can get a little frustrating on an older boat....if in doubt I change out the hoses and the clamps...if nothing else it's cheap insurance and I sleep better while I'm driving.
ixtlan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel