Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 03:41   #16

Charlie is yours not Turbo? Sometimes the turbo version gives similar problems when driven for long periods at below the Turbo "kick-in" speed. When this becomes a problem the turbo will need a turbo "wash" to clear the clag.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:06   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Laidback but I went with the naturally asperated engine. I didn't think I needed the extra ~ 20 hp the turbo would provide and didn't want the complication of a turbo.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 16:47   #18

Re: Replacing Engine - Norseman 447

Hi All,

I am having problem with the original Lehman engine on my Norseman 447 and need to remove the transmission to access the flywheel.

I see that some of you have repowered: how did you go about removing the transmission?

Access is limited and I'm trying to figure something out...

Thanks!!
theocerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:03   #19

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theocerbo View Post
Hi All,

I am having problem with the original Lehman engine on my Norseman 447 and need to remove the transmission to access the flywheel.

I see that some of you have repowered: how did you go about removing the transmission?

Access is limited and I'm trying to figure something out...

Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2018, 17:53   #20

Boat: Norseman 447

When I bought hull #21 in 1998, the engine surveyor told me that there were broken springs in the damper plate. He could hear them. After much discussion with the PO, the mechanics and the surveyor, it was decided that 40-60 hours of labor just jacking things up, sliding the supported engine aft, and wrestling out the transmission and V-drive, then putting it all back together. After lots of discussions, it was easier to cut out the cockpit floor and put in a Yanmar.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 18:07   #21

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Never heard a complaint about an Isuzu diesel... surprised you dont see them more often.... maybe they just dont market them much...
I ran a passenger boat that put over 56,000 hours on two Isuzu diesels (they would just swap engines when it was time for a rebuild). They are really awesome engines. The boat has been repowered with a Cummins which is slick but is common rail which to me is way too complicated for a cruising boat.
Old 04-12-2018, 18:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
When I bought hull #21 in 1998, the engine surveyor told me that there were broken springs in the damper plate. He could hear them. After much discussion with the PO, the mechanics and the surveyor, it was decided that 40-60 hours of labor just jacking things up, sliding the supported engine aft, and wrestling out the transmission and V-drive, then putting it all back together. After lots of discussions, it was easier to cut out the cockpit floor and put in a Yanmar.
Thanks for the input! Wow that's wild... damn those boat really didn't got built with servicing the engine in mind. Well I'm not sure what I'm going to do, it's kind of a nightmare situation.

Tags
engine