Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 04:37   #16

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Replacing Dual Lever Control with Single Lever Control ?

The conversion will cost whatever you pay for the lever. You should be able to use the old cables if the ends have the correct fitting otherwise add the price of a couple end fittings or go whole hog and replace with shiney new cables too. The only difficulty may be if you need to cut or fill a hole for the new/existing lever. If it bolts on its a one beer job.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalcove View Post
The conversion will cost whatever you pay for the lever. .
Old 08-11-2011, 07:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
cost of a conversion anyone>
A "G" note plus cables plus labor and a little DNA. Not worth the conversion in my mind. For that kind of money I'd be adding AIS or upgrading other electronics.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: REplacing Dual Levers Control by Single Lever Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
binnacle

I did the edson conversion for my edson binnacle on my Pearson 424. It was not particularly difficult, but it was kinda expensive
X how are the cables led? mine come up the binnacle and stop it looks like it would be an odd bend or does the shaft for the gear lever go into the binnacle.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

When we got the boat she was single lever. I have seen others with two levers though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Any pictures Del. I like the idea of doing that on my boat. Problem is I have dual stations as wel and don't know if it will work.
Here are before and after pictures. You can see the levers in the aft/stbd part of the cockpit. If your sitting with the tiller in hand, it works OK for one side but not the other.

With the pedestal it would be a nightmare. So with the pedestal the duel action single lever is a dream.

For double stations there is a set up for duel action levers. >> Teleflex SL-3 Top and Side Mount Controls - Controls by Discount Marine Supplies

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	33446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2968.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	33447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_wheel.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	33448  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:49   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

So I have asked Edson to have some input on how difficult and how costly.

They were very helpful and answered my question quickly and completely
The conclusion is it is not as simple as some would like to think.
The pedestal (Edson equipment)is equipped with a side mount wheel brake and knob on the starboard side.
The side mount single lever control housing when installed will be close enough to the pedestal to prevent me from getting my hand on the brake knob to turn it thus I will no longer have the use of the wheel brake.

The control comes complete with a new pedestal guard. 58" high.
The new guard replaces the existing one and is 1 1/8" in diameter instead of 1" and is cut to the appropriate length on one side to support the control housing. Stainless inserts are threaded in to the top and bottom of the housing and are mated together with the new guard pipe at the factory. The lower section of pipe houses the engine control cables coming up through the cockpit sole.

The end result is that I will need to do away with the existing 1" pipe and reinstall all instrumentation onto the new pipe. !!!!

This also may mean new hardware/ housings.

I may be able to use existing control cables.

The price for the guard /control kit is $1,010.00.

The kit includes the guard pipe, engine control and housing, plus top plate & feet.

This doesn't include getting off the old guard and displacing instruments and reinstalling on new guard and changing the plates and hardware for re-installing the instruments on the 1"1/8 new guard etc.. quite a lot of works and extra expenses and problems.

I'll stay with the dual...
Old 08-11-2011, 13:56   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ericson has dual levers on an edson pedestal. they are on top. the side wheel brake wheel is on the stbd side of the pdstal,and shift and throttle on either side of pedestal top, with compass between.
my formosa has single lever at ankle level and it is horrible. i havent an edson pedestal, but i do have a formosa one. i believe it should not be difficult to jeek my pedestal for this job and place one on either side of that pedestal. morse cables here are relatively inexpensive so that should keep costs of install and effecting of plan to a minimum.....even with slightly longer cables.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:50   #24

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
I replaced my entire pedestal last winter with a new Edson vision series unit. Went from dual controls to single. There was nothing difficult about the conversion and Edson sells the control separately. I went with new cables and spent some time getting leads nicer and tension right but have been very happy. I prefer having one hand available for the wheel and the other for controls. Obviously YMMV.
Thanks for the recommendation. It seems that the Vision series pedestal is now the recommended retrofit for Catalinas and I plan to install a Vision pedestal on my Cat 36 over the winter. Glad to hear you're happy with yours. My only problem is that "winter" fell on a Tuesday here last year, so I hope I get to the project.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. It seems that the Vision series pedestal is now the recommended retrofit for Catalinas and I plan to install a Vision pedestal on my Cat 36 over the winter. Glad to hear you're happy with yours. My only problem is that "winter" fell on a Tuesday here last year, so I hope I get to the project.

Mike
I think they still make three different sizes.

http://www.americanriggingsupply.com..._Pedestals.pdf
Old 10-11-2011, 00:34   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
I like the decisions that involve........not doing anything
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:57   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you want to go to a single lever? We have a single level Morse control and I wish I had 2 controls!
+1

Why in the world would you want to do that??!!

I went from two levers to one lever on the new boat. One of the few things I hate about the new boat.

The single lever system works ok - can't complain. But it is an utterly useless complication -- another thing to break or get out of adjustment -- and reduces the amount of control you have - also makes controls less positive -- why in the world would you want it? So that you can put in gear and power up in one motion, instead of two totally simple ones?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi
+1

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39   #29

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1

I went from two levers to one lever on the new boat. One of the few things I hate about the new boat.

The single lever system works ok - can't complain. But it is an utterly useless complication -- another thing to break or get out of adjustment -- and reduces the amount of control you have - also makes controls less positive -- why in the world would you want it? So that you can put in gear and power up in one motion, instead of two totally simple ones?

--because it can be done in ONE SIMPLE motion.

In 17 yrs of owning my boat, I have never had to do anything except a squirt of aerosol lithium grease once a year. My controls are starboard side, cockpit b/head mounted. To service, I lift locker seat top, squirt grease, close locker. 30 seconds.

With single lever Edson, you unscrew top, grease, replace top.
Pedestal mounted dual levers require much more work to get at, and time as well.
This is just my opinion, after converting 2 tiller boats to wheel steering,with all the fine tuning.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10   #30

Quote:
That was the idea in building a single lever.

Man was not put on the moon and successfully retrieved without technology, which many sailboat people still condemn as being something that "if it hasn't failed it will" which is a fallacy flying in the face of successful facts.
By repeating such defeatist anti-technology drivel such people are merely ensconcing themselves in caves amidst a world of wonderful opportunity. Don't deny others with such defeatism who might otherwise benefit from the bigger picture.